none
Project Manager as timesheet approver RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I thought that I could route tasks assigned to resources on a project plan via the Project Owner for approval and 'other' tasks i.e. administration, sick via a different resource for approval - but I can not figure out how to do this.

Did the sales guy for MSP Server 2010 sell me a feature that doesn't exist?

All help appreciated!  Thanks, Wendy.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Wendy,

this feature does exist, but works a bit different. Timesheets are purely sent to Timesheet Manager, as defined on resource level for approval. Timesheets include the administrative time and all project tasks (default setting of timesheet configuration).

If you want approval by project owner or status manager, you have two options:

1. Enable Single Entry Mode (SEM) in Server Settings - Timesheet Settings. Timesheet should be the only entry page for users. When submiiting timesheet, timesheet is sent to Timesheet Manager for approval. In most cases, this is the manager of resource, who needs to know who is doing what. At the same time, all hours are also sent to project owner/status manager who can (or must with Require line approval before timesheet approval enabled) approve status updates and to get them updated in project plan.
    2. You ask user to enter hours in Tasks page and send them on a regular basis to project owner/status manager by submitting from there. And let them create them timesheet by end of timesheet period. All previously entered hours will be prepopulated in timesheet and will be submitted to timesheet manager.

Scenario 1 is the common one since it does not require too much attention by resources.

Let us know, if you need to know more.
    Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 8:47 PM