Windows 10 update file size RRS feed

• Question

• How can I determine the file size of Windows 10 updates? I am on a metered connection and have had serious issues with update sizes for the last two months. Windows 7 always showed file size and you could select/deselect individual files; that is no longer the case with Windows 10. I am considering NOT allowing any updates until the last day of my billing cycle to protect myself from this abuse. Not good from a security standpoint, but what other recourse do I have?
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 1:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>> Windows 7 always showed file size and you could select/deselect individual files; that is no longer the case with Windows 10.

Yes , this behavior was changed in win10 and we can not do anything for it .

But , if you are using WSUS (additional server OS is needed to run that role) , you can filter useless updates out .

Also ,please check the following article regarding WSUS :

http://www.itprotoday.com/windows-8/deploying-windows-server-update-services-domain-environment-and-using-group-policies

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Monday, December 11, 2017 12:47 AM
    Friday, December 8, 2017 5:44 AM
  • WSUS is a horrible proposed solution to limit windows 10 downloads.

If it's not set correctly, it can drag down 140GB of updates+ including >5GB for multiple windows 10 monthly express installs. It's certainly not obvious to any novice which of the 29 products with win 10 in their name they need to select for windows 10 in a small office.

Windows 10 GDR-DU FOD? Windows 10 GDR-DU LP? 

Windows 10 LTSB is the enterprise long term stable version that us normal people aren't allowed.

Windows 10 S? Do they need language packs? Feature on demand, dynamic update? Upgrade and servicing drivers?

In contrast Windows 7, windows server 2019, Windows XP, or windows 2000 just have one clear tickbox.

Would microsoft please just copy redhat and the other linux distros and give people a powershell update equivalent for windows 10 that assesses the required updates for a client, lists the patches we require for a non-enterprise setup. Allows us to select them individually, download to a specified location and cache them in a re-usable download form. Then a simple install command with a CRC check. 

WSUS is a failure here for windows 10.

Friday, January 4, 2019 5:05 PM