Using IMagex to install spanned images across several CDS RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a customized WinPe boot CD with an application that will allow a user to click a button 'Install Image'.  Before executing the imagex command I will prepare my disks using Diskpart and assign the Windows partition with the letter T:\.  After all pre imaging work is done I will execute the following command:

imagex /ref G:\HPImagex\HPFinalSpan*.swm /apply G:\HPImagex\HPFinalSpan.swm 1 T:

My question is how will the install process know when the second, third, forth CD should be inserted to continue with the imaging?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 11:06 PM

All replies

• Hi karson44444,

When a image is splittted into several parts, they are named as ,2,3,4 automatically. Here is a screenshot for reference:

"Windows Setup specifically searches for split wim files named install*.swm."
    Split a Windows Image (WIM) File to Span Across Multiple DVDs
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-sg/library/hh825096.aspx

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 6:48 AM
  • Hi Karson,

If I remember correctly, you will not be able to restore images directly from multiple DVD disks. You will have to copy all the swm files to hard disk and then start ImageX /apply targeting path on hard disk.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:41 AM
  • Les,

Are you sure?  Ghost has been able to do this for the last 10 years I thought for sure Microsoft's imagex would have that functionality built in.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 1:25 PM
  • Hi karson444440,

I hope my previous post will be useful. In addition, we could try to check setup.log(C:\$Windows.~WS\Sources\Panther) for more information.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 26, 2016 1:29 AM