Problem when opening a view with ProClarity Professional 5.3 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. Let's consider this situation:

- My Book

- View1 (cube1, default view)

- View2 (cube2)

There's no problem with ProClarity Standard. Problems appear when I attempt to open view2 from view1 using ProClarity Professional 5.3: credentials are required again.

A friend of mine has the same problem with PAS 6.3 and has not found a solution yet.

Can somebody give me a hand?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 8:22 AM

Answers

• The second prompt is coming from the IIS instance hosting access to the cube.  Standard client probably isn't using HTTP to connect to the cubes, but Professional is, which is likely why you're only seeing this issue in the Pro.  But regardless, the second prompt seems to be coming from the virtual directory hosting the pump that provides HTTP access to the cubes.  Not being completely familiar with your environment it's hard to say for certain why this is, but it's likely you can use your knowledge of the implementation to discover why that virtual directory would not be accepting user credentials without prompting for them.

Monday, July 14, 2008 11:21 PM

All replies

• Credentials usually pop up if the view cannot find the cube, or, if you use HTTP(S) cube access and need to enter credentials, or, you use SSAS and 6.x Pro and use credentials to access the cube.

Are you running 5.3 against AS 2000? 

I would check the cubes and servers that the views are running against.  I would then check the security logs on the web server (Standard server) and the data server to see which users are actually hitting the boxes - this might explain what's happening if it's a credential issue.

Let me know if you need any tips with logging.

-Joey

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 11:29 PM
  • Thanks Joey. Let me explain the issue more accurately:

When I open a view which is running against another cube credentials are required, but after entering those credentials I can see the view. After that (I mean, I have already accessed to two different cubes at least) I can open any view running against any cube, even new cubes.

I'm runnning Pro 5.3 against AS 2000, but I have the same problem with Pro 6.3.

The issue deals only with ProClarity Professional. So, which log files should I check?

Thanks for your help, Joey. Best regards.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 7:24 AM
  • Just to clarify - is the credential prompt that you are using the one inside the Professional that pops up when you try to open a view or connect to a cube?  Does the server address have an HTTP(S) in front of it?

It reads as if you have to enter credentials to connect to each "cube" and then you have access to the cubes from then on.  This would be expected behavior and would give you access to the "cube" without a login from then on.  The reason I put cube in quotes is because I'm assuming you are actually logging into two different cube servers - each server requiring credentials.  I'd also assume you are running HTTP(S) cube access since, if memory serves, that's that only setup that will allow you to enter credentials with AS 2000 and get connected. 

You can check the Windows Event Viewer Security logs and look for events that coincide with the time you are connecting and entering credentials.  Here's some more information if you need to turn on more logging - run gpedit.msc from the Run line, go to Computer Configuration, Windows Settings Security Settings, Local Policy, Audit Policy and turn on or off any event logging needed. 

If you are going through HTTP(S) to get to the cube, this might be a little more complicated.  Again, memory is a bit shakey on this one, but I'm guessing that HTTP(S) cube access would require your credentials and then pass those to the AS 2000 server from the IIS server. 

-Joey

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 3:24 PM
  • Hi Joey. The credential prompt is the one you mention, and the server address has HTTP in front of it.

I have to enter credentials only twice: first when I connect to PAS, and second when I open a view that points to a cube that has never been opened (first cube can be opened without credentials). Since that moment I can open as many views as I want, no matter if they point to never-opened cubes. All cubes are on the same server, and that server is also front-end server.

As the issue deals only witn ProClarity Professional I guess that IIS has nothing to do, does it?

Thanks!

Friday, July 11, 2008 9:57 AM
  • The second prompt is coming from the IIS instance hosting access to the cube.  Standard client probably isn't using HTTP to connect to the cubes, but Professional is, which is likely why you're only seeing this issue in the Pro.  But regardless, the second prompt seems to be coming from the virtual directory hosting the pump that provides HTTP access to the cubes.  Not being completely familiar with your environment it's hard to say for certain why this is, but it's likely you can use your knowledge of the implementation to discover why that virtual directory would not be accepting user credentials without prompting for them.

Monday, July 14, 2008 11:21 PM
  • Thanks Ben, we'll have a look and see what happens... You might be right.

I'll let you know. Regards.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 11:28 AM