none
How do you Include in the resource usage view the summary titles? RRS feed

• Question

• How do you Include in the resource usage view the summary titles?

Basically I used a summary, to organize many tasks. I have 4 highest level summaries. I would like these 4 to show up in the resource usage as an extra column. However, I cannot find the appropriate column name to use, so that MS project will automatically transfer the highest level summaries to resource usage view...

Possibly I could add another column in my Gantt chart view, that can be called from the resource usage view. So, not a text, but something that will be transferred regardless of view! Any suggestions?

Regards,

Stef

Stef

Thursday, October 4, 2012 3:41 PM

Answers

• Stef,

Add the Task Summary field to the Resource Usage view. I think that will give you what you want but you may need to apply grouping to arrange things by the highest 4 summaries.

John

• Marked as answer by forzainternl Friday, October 5, 2012 8:01 AM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 2:19 AM
  • Actually found the answer now that you guys pointed me in the right direction in the forums. From:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectprofessional2010general/thread/28b29c23-7fb6-4ed4-be10-e638a181e0c6

"Izumi --

You might try this:

1.  Apply the Resource Usage view in your project and remove the Task Summary Name column.
    2.  Click the View tab to display the View ribbon.
    3.  In the Data section of the View ribbon, click the Group By pick list and select the Assignments Keeping Outline Structure group.

The grouping should show you the summary tasks you want to see for each task.  Hope this helps."

Thanks John and Project user.

Stef

• Marked as answer by forzainternl Friday, October 5, 2012 8:21 AM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 8:21 AM
  • Where do you find "Assignments Keeping outline structure"?

Stef

• Edited by Ismet Kocaman Friday, October 5, 2012 8:25 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Ismet Kocaman Friday, October 5, 2012 8:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by forzainternl Friday, October 5, 2012 8:37 AM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 8:23 AM

All replies

• Pls try "Assignments Keeping Outline Structure" group in Resource Usage view. -- Regards.
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 4:52 PM
  • Stef,

Add the Task Summary field to the Resource Usage view. I think that will give you what you want but you may need to apply grouping to arrange things by the highest 4 summaries.

John

• Marked as answer by forzainternl Friday, October 5, 2012 8:01 AM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 2:19 AM
  • Stef,

John

Thanks John! That worked almost entirely. How would I go by the grouping? I'll edit the post if I manage to work it out before you come back online. Most of the tasks have the highest level summary but others don't...

Stef

Friday, October 5, 2012 8:03 AM
  • Actually found the answer now that you guys pointed me in the right direction in the forums. From:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectprofessional2010general/thread/28b29c23-7fb6-4ed4-be10-e638a181e0c6

"Izumi --

You might try this:

1.  Apply the Resource Usage view in your project and remove the Task Summary Name column.
    2.  Click the View tab to display the View ribbon.
    3.  In the Data section of the View ribbon, click the Group By pick list and select the Assignments Keeping Outline Structure group.

The grouping should show you the summary tasks you want to see for each task.  Hope this helps."

Thanks John and Project user.

Stef

• Marked as answer by forzainternl Friday, October 5, 2012 8:21 AM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 8:21 AM
  • Where do you find "Assignments Keeping outline structure"?

Stef

• Edited by Ismet Kocaman Friday, October 5, 2012 8:25 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Ismet Kocaman Friday, October 5, 2012 8:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by forzainternl Friday, October 5, 2012 8:37 AM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 8:23 AM
  • Thanks Project User,

But by using this assignment grouping, any overallocations will not show in red in this resource usage view, as was the case before. Is there some way around that?

Thanks a lot.

Stef.

Stef

Friday, October 5, 2012 8:31 AM
  • Thank you for the feedback Stef, pls do not hesitate to mark all the posts helpful as "answer". 
    Friday, October 5, 2012 8:31 AM
  • Thanks Project User,

But by using this assignment grouping, any overallocations will not show in red in this resource usage view, as was the case before. Is there some way around that?

Thanks a lot.

Stef.

Stef

I would toggle the Details checkbox (click to check [x]) in the View ribbon and apply the Resource Usage view with no grouping to the bottom pane. The bottom pane will display overallocations. 
    Friday, October 5, 2012 8:42 AM
  • I would toggle the Details checkbox (click to check [x]) in the View ribbon and apply Resource Usage view with no grouping to the bottom pane. 

Hmm. The Details checkbox is checked. I am not sure I understand the no grouping to the bottom pane. Basically, say in one day 14 hours are allocated to a resource, when the max units are 10 hours, then the total hours for tasks in a day would show in red in the resource usage view. Now they just stay black, so it's not as obvious that some resources are overallocated on that specfic day. Obviously any resource allocated a total of more than 10 hours is overallocated, but with the introduction of the summary grouping this isn't as easy to see, with all the different levels of summaries especially.

Thanks for the help.
    Stef

Stef

• Edited by forzainternl Friday, October 5, 2012 9:03 AM Rewrote not clear.
    Friday, October 5, 2012 8:49 AM
  • >> I am not sure I unederstand the no grouping to the bottom pane. 

Group function will work with the top pane so it will be grayed out when the active view is the bottom one. 

>> The overallocations do show in the resource graph for example. The totals does not show in red in the resource usage view if you know what i mean.

Pls see the snapshot below:

Friday, October 5, 2012 9:05 AM
  • Ah ok. That works. However, I wanted to use the grouping to allow me to easily understand where the task is located in the plan. By using the split view, with the resource usage table ungrouped in the bottom pane, I don't think I get that much utility. I would rather use the resource graph, to show me the overallocation at that point.

So, basically I cannot have the red text showing up in the grouped pane, top pane as you displayed in your image. Written differently, you cannot merge the two panes into one view?

Thanks a lot.

Stef

Friday, October 5, 2012 9:23 AM
  • >> So, basically I cannot have the red text showing up in the grouped pane, top pane as you displayed in your image.

To my best knowledge, that is not possible.

>> Written differently, you cannot merge the two panes into one view?

A combination view can be created to apply this view configuration to the plan quickly when needed but I believe it is not possible to merge them physically. 

Friday, October 5, 2012 9:42 AM