Cannot retain file selection in details view when changing sorting method on Windows Explorer in Windows 7. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

With this first post, I'd like to point out a feature (or bug :P) of Windows 7 Explorer (and possibly Vista's too).

Back in the glorious XP days, when in "details" view in Explorer, you could select a bunch of files. When you changed the sorting method (say from "name" to "date" or "size"), the files would remain selected, as well as in a new position (according to the sort method).

Now, with 7 (untested in Vista), when you do that, the file selection clears and you have to start over. In my line of work, the previous XP behavior was a very important and needed feature as it enabled me to create file selections that depended first by say name-sorted list, mixed with additional selections from date sorted lists. Needless to say, there is no alternative to do that in 7. Perhaps there is a workaround for this? Why would Microsoft remove such a feature?

I should point out, that if just one file is selected, you can change the sorting method without losing focus of the file. It merely takes its rightful sorting place after the sort-method change. Do that for two files and you lose both as it starts fresh.

Any pointers/suggestions?

Sincerely,
    T. Economou

Monday, March 1, 2010 7:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• It seems that applying the "full row select hack" regfile mentioned here:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/disable-full-row-select-explorer-windows-7/

as a nice side-effect, it also re-instates the XP behavior mentioned above. So problem solved...

Sincerely,
    T.Economou

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, March 2, 2010 1:30 AM
    Monday, March 1, 2010 8:27 PM
  • I also hate this new behavior in Windows 7.  My company is finally moving to 7.  By the way, in Vista it works like XP.  In fact Vista has full row select like 7, but still retains the selection when changing the sort.  I like the full row selection, so I don't want to apply the hack mentioned in this thread.

Microsoft, please reply to this thread.  Why did you make this change in Windows 7?  Why is the file selection lost when resorting in details view?  This XP/Vista behavior is important to my work.

Thursday, August 9, 2012 5:40 PM