none
Shifting resources from one task to another after task completion RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a basic question. I have two tasks:

- Task A is assigned to Resource1 and Resource2 and the duration is 20 days.

- Task B is assigned to Resource3 and the duration is 10 days.

- Task A and Task B starts on the same day.

So with this setup, these two tasks will finish after 20 days and in the last 10 days Resource 3 will not do anything. In reality, I would shift Resource3 to Task A after Task B is completed to reduce the duration of the Task A.

Can I do this without splitting Task A into two parts?

Thank you.

• Edited by AdamKa Friday, September 13, 2013 5:56 AM
    Friday, September 13, 2013 5:56 AM

All replies

• There is no automatic way of doing this - but a quick work around works.  Assign the resources as you explain.  After assigning both resources to task A, set the task to effort driven.  Temporarily set the completion of Task A to 50%.  Now assign Resource3 to the task.  If you look at the Task Usage view, you'll see Resource1 and Resource2 have completed half of their assigned work (80 hours each)  the remaining work has been divided evenly between Resource1, Resource2 and Resource 3.  Resource3 does not begin working on the task until day 11.  Set the % complete back to zero.

Of course, this assumes that Resource3 will finish the work on task b on time.  If not, the resource will be overallocated.

Friday, September 13, 2013 10:01 AM