none
Confusion about Storage Pools and Modern Storage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am currently migrating our DPM Backup solution to new server hardware and storage, using Server 2016 and DPM 2016. I am quite confused to say the least by the best method to provide modern storage to DPM.

My plan has been to virtualise DPM to make it easy to move it to new hardware easily in the future. I also want to take advantage of the deduplication which using virtual storage spaces can provide. 

Server: Dell R730Xd with about 120TB of storage (12x10TB SAS drives)

I have setup the server as a Hyper-V 2016 Host and created a Server 2016/DPM 2016 VM on this host for DPM. My big question is how to provide storage?

My plan is to RAID 5 the storage on the physical server as a large 127TB disk. 
    The next bit is where it gets tricky. My plan is to split it into 4 volumes, create around 30x1TB VHDXs on each of those volumes,(120 in total) then present each vhdx to the DPM VM, split between its virtual scsi controllers.

Next inside the VM I will create a storage pool and create a virtual disk from that. That can then have a volume created on it and be formatted and presented to DPM as a large volume. I was thinking of using a 'simple' storage pool as hardware RAID on the physical server should cover hard drive failures and we wont waste any space. We can also use depdupe on these virtual volumes to save even more space.

Q1:Is this idea crazy and would I be simply best presentimg the hardware storage directly to the VM?
    Q2:If it is not crazy, should all the storage go into one large storage pool or be split up into several smaller ones.
    Q3:How reliable is a 'Simple' storage pool likely to be using vhdxs? Do vhdxs ever get corrupted, and can we recover in any way from that if it did happen on a 'simple' storage pool?

Thanks
    Ali 

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 1:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Q1:Is this idea crazy and would I be simply best presentimg the hardware storage directly to the VM?
    A1:  Since your goal is to dedup the DPM storage pool disks, you need to use .vhdx files.

Q2:If it is not crazy, should all the storage go into one large storage pool or be split up into several smaller ones.
    A2: I would recommend a single storage pool.

Q3:How reliable is a 'Simple' storage pool likely to be using vhdxs? Do vhdxs ever get corrupted, and can we recover in any way from that if it did happen on a 'simple' storage pool?
    A3: Since your hardware hosting the .vhdx files is fault tolerant (raid-5) then yes use simple (column size = 1) when making the virtual disk.  This allows you to extend the virtual disk and the volume if you need to.  The .vhdx technology is very mature and robust and typically corruption occurs only if the hardware or underlying file system has problems. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 8:46 PM

All replies

• Hi

I am currently migrating our DPM Backup solution to new server hardware and storage, using Server 2016 and DPM 2016. I am quite confused to say the least by the best method to provide modern storage to DPM.

My plan has been to virtualise DPM to make it easy to move it to new hardware easily in the future. I also want to take advantage of the deduplication which using virtual storage spaces can provide. 

Server: Dell R730Xd with about 120TB of storage (12x10TB SAS drives)

I have setup the server as a Hyper-V 2016 Host and created a Server 2016/DPM 2016 VM on this host for DPM. My big question is how to provide storage?

My plan is to RAID 5 the storage on the physical server as a large 127TB disk. 
    The next bit is where it gets tricky. My plan is to split it into 4 volumes, create around 30x1TB VHDXs on each of those volumes,(120 in total) then present each vhdx to the DPM VM, split between its virtual scsi controllers.

Next inside the VM I will create a storage pool and create a virtual disk from that. That can then have a volume created on it and be formatted and presented to DPM as a large volume. I was thinking of using a 'simple' storage pool as hardware RAID on the physical server should cover hard drive failures and we wont waste any space. We can also use depdupe on these virtual volumes to save even more space.

Thanks
    Ali 

Anybody any idea whether simple storage spaces are to be relied on using vhds?
    Monday, April 24, 2017 8:43 AM
  • Hi,

A1:  Since your goal is to dedup the DPM storage pool disks, you need to use .vhdx files.

A2: I would recommend a single storage pool.

A3: Since your hardware hosting the .vhdx files is fault tolerant (raid-5) then yes use simple (column size = 1) when making the virtual disk.  This allows you to extend the virtual disk and the volume if you need to.  The .vhdx technology is very mature and robust and typically corruption occurs only if the hardware or underlying file system has problems. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 8:46 PM
  • Thanks Mike, appreciate your feedback on this 
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 11:49 AM