Is a reinstall necessary to fix possible corruption, even after BSOD has been resolved. RRS feed

• Question

• My question is a little strange, and I am having difficulty getting a straight answer through search engines, so I thought I'd go straight to the source. I just built a budget gaming PC and I was having issues with my video driver causing BSODs while playing Far Cry 3. I resolved the issue by reinstalling my drivers and my game. BUT, I wanted to know: Just because I've fixed my original BSOD errors and my PC is now working fine, is there a chance that future data corruption can happen as a result of the BSODs forcefully restarting my PC? If so, I plan on reinstalling as a precaution.
    Monday, January 27, 2014 8:21 PM

Answers

• I ran chkdsk and sfc, and didn't find any corruption. But, I ended up doing the reinstall anyway because Far Cry 3 continued to display BSOD issues. Still does after double checking Windows and driver updates, so I purchased it for PS3 instead haha. My hardware all checks out as well. I did a scan for RAM and HDD errors, and found none. I also did benchmarks on my CPU and GPU, which went well. CPU never got above 55C and GPU never got above 60C. All other PC games are working great too. Appreciate the help from you both.

• Edited by mistabla07 Wednesday, January 29, 2014 6:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:22 AM
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 6:31 PM

All replies

• you can make sure by running sfc /scannow

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

also make sure you update your driver, windows and antivirus.

• Edited by britishdhez Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:45 AM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:45 AM
  • Mistabla07,

If you’ve resolved your driver issues and everything is working properly now, you shouldn’t run into any related errors down the road.  With that being said though, it can’t hurt to go ahead and look for any other errors that might be existing.

In order to do this:

1. Press your Windows key and X simultaneously.  This will bring up a menu with administrative tools you can choose from. 
    2. Select Disk Management.
    3. Highlight your C:\ drive by clicking on it.
    4. Right-click on your C:\ drive and select Properties.
    5. Go to the Tools tab.  This will bring up a tab that has the options for error checking and also to defragment and optimize your drive.
    6. Click on Check under error checking.  This will scan your drive for any errors and also repair them.

I hope this helps.

Mike

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 2:10 PM
  • I ran chkdsk and sfc, and didn't find any corruption. But, I ended up doing the reinstall anyway because Far Cry 3 continued to display BSOD issues. Still does after double checking Windows and driver updates, so I purchased it for PS3 instead haha. My hardware all checks out as well. I did a scan for RAM and HDD errors, and found none. I also did benchmarks on my CPU and GPU, which went well. CPU never got above 55C and GPU never got above 60C. All other PC games are working great too. Appreciate the help from you both.

• Edited by mistabla07 Wednesday, January 29, 2014 6:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:22 AM
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 6:31 PM