Vista starts "Normally" into hybrid safe mode. RRS feed

• Question

• I was having a problem with vista (would not boot at all because of conflicting drivers[Roxio and MagicDisk]) Anyways, after I could not fix the problem right away I called Dell tech support(a Nightmare to say the least) and in the process of trying to fix the problem they had me change all kinds of settings that seemed like they were not linked to the problem (and they weren't, after a week of forum searching I found the answer myself) So, after I finnally got my system to make it to the desktop I have a leftover problem thanks to Dell.

1. When I start the computer Normally thats not in safe mode, it looks exactly like safe mode. The drivers all load up and it is in the lowest resolution. Every time I boot up.

2. I managed to find how to hide the drivers loading (Used msconfig and unchecked OS Boot information) but I still have to change my screen resolution from the lowest to 1650x1080 every time I start windows.

Dell says its a windows error.. laughable. I just don't know which settings ended up not being changed back to their default. Any suggestions?
    Thursday, December 13, 2007 7:28 PM

Answers

•  

Hi TheBigBadViolist,

Thank you for the post.

This issue can occur if the current display card driver is not fully compatible with Windows Vista or some system services are not loaded at startup.

I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

1.  Set the resolution to 1650x1080.

2.  Click Start, type msconfig and press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

3.  On the “General” tab, choose “Normal startup”.

4.  Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

5.  Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Do you need to change the resolution to 1650x1080 again this time?

If so, please let me know the brand and model of your display card. Meanwhile, please send me the System Information for further research.

How to collect System Information

=======================

1. Press Start, type in msinfo32 in the Start Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Locate the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

4. Send the compressed file to WCVDATA@microsoft.com.

Note: Please include the following three lines in the email body:

Vista starts "Normally" into hybrid safe mode.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2551025&SiteID=17

Tim Quan - MSFT

Note: We will continue to discuss the issue here in the forum and will NOT reply via emails.

Also, please post a quick note in the current thread to inform me after sending the email.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, December 17, 2007 7:58 AM

All replies

•  

Hi TheBigBadViolist,

Thank you for the post.

This issue can occur if the current display card driver is not fully compatible with Windows Vista or some system services are not loaded at startup.

I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

1.  Set the resolution to 1650x1080.

2.  Click Start, type msconfig and press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

3.  On the “General” tab, choose “Normal startup”.

4.  Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

5.  Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Do you need to change the resolution to 1650x1080 again this time?

If so, please let me know the brand and model of your display card. Meanwhile, please send me the System Information for further research.

How to collect System Information

=======================

1. Press Start, type in msinfo32 in the Start Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Locate the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

4. Send the compressed file to WCVDATA@microsoft.com.

Note: Please include the following three lines in the email body:

Vista starts "Normally" into hybrid safe mode.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2551025&SiteID=17

Tim Quan - MSFT

Note: We will continue to discuss the issue here in the forum and will NOT reply via emails.

Also, please post a quick note in the current thread to inform me after sending the email.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, December 17, 2007 7:58 AM
  • Hi TheBigBadViolist,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Thursday, December 20, 2007 2:00 AM