D830 upgrade to H-HHD cannot enable ready drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi people,

Just wondered if anyone else has upgraded there hard drive to a hybrid hard drive (Momentus 5400 PSD 160GB) in a D830 (orig purchased with XP) and have now upgraded (fresh install) to vista.

I have not been very successful in enabled readydrive in vista.

I have only managed to get it to work for a short while when SATA mode is ATA in the bios and setting the options in group policy (it did not work when using AHCI as stated in many places) and using the intel drives from there site. It stayed enabled for about 2 days, and for those two days you could tell the n cache was working, then the tab in the drive properties disappeared.

I have tried SATA in AHCI mode, dell \ intel drives etc.

So i am wondering if anyone else has upgraded there hard drive to the one mentioned above and installed vista on a D830 which was purchased with XP originally?

I have tried Vista 32 bit ( worked for a while) and x64 did not work at all. (readydrive that is)

Cheers

Rich

Saturday, October 11, 2008 9:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Rich,

This behavior occurs if there is less free space on the first partition on your hybrid drive. A Microsoft KB article has explained this situation.

Windows ReadyDrive does not work in Windows Vista if the first partition of a hybrid hard disk drive has less than 32 MB of free space

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933242

If it is exactly your case, please temporary move some data away from the drive, ensure that the first partition has more than 32 MB of free space. Then test if the issue occurs. If it does not occur, please contact our technical support and require the hotfix to resolve this issue.

However, if the issue occurs when the first partition has more than 32 MB of free space, I suggest that you connect the drive to another Windows Vista computer. Does the issue persist? Please let me know the result.

If the issue also occurs on any other Windows Vista computer, this issue may be related to hardware problems. Please contact Seagate support and check for hardware issues in this situation.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/about/contact_us/

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope the information helps.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:19 AM