Missing SOFTWARE UPDATES SCAN CYCLE in ACTION TAB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I have a problem where Iam unable to see the SOFTWARE UPDATES SCAN CYCLE in actions on the Configuration Manager properties on the Client.

If I move the Client to a another site code and run the Machine Policy Retrieval and Evaluation Cycle the Software Updates Scan Cycle appears. I move back and it disappears. This telling me the Client is OK and something to do with SITE Configuration.

I have used the Parent site and Transfer Wizard settings so they all configured the same. I manually went and checked the settings also to be double sure.

I DISABLE (remove tick)from the Software Updates Agent on the Primary Site and wait for it to flow down to the Child site and then run Machine Policy Retrieval and Evaluation Cycle again. If i then check compoenents tab I see that the CONFIGMgr Software Updates Agent changes from Enabled to Installed.

I then ENABLE(put tick back) from parent site and Sofwtare Updates Agent flows down and enable on the child site. This tells me there is not a problem with sites talking to each other for a better word.

When I removed Software Update Agent , its removed the UPDATES TAB and also the Software Updates Deployment Evaluation Cycle.

When Software Update Agent is enable I see the Updates Deployment Evaluation Cycle, but No Software Updates Scan Cycle.

Can anyone explain why I cant get to see the Software Updates Scan cycle.???

I gone thru the configuration and logs and cant find anything. I have 6 other Child sites connected to same parent and they all work fine.

Because of this there is NO WUAHandler.log,, The ScanAgent .log doesnt give any errors.

Iam thinking that the Policies on the SITE Server are not correct.

I have removed the removed the ConfigMgr Software Update point and replaced again also.

The Clients subnet has been added to the Boundaries for that Site. 

Thanks

Gary

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 2:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Gary,

This issue can be caused by the scan tool received a deletion request from something, maybe the uninstalling and installing of SUP role, after that it may had the missing “Software Update Scan cycle”. The action cannot be get until policy retrieval has occurred after a SUP has been installed. Meanwhile, it won’t scan until the catalog has been synced in Configuration Manager.

You may try the following steps to test:

1.On the child site remove any files that exist from the Retry Retry\Bad and Retry\Badrepl inboxes box.

2. On the child site SQL database run the following query in SQL to remove the bad items

Warning: run this query on the CHILD SITE where the issue is occurring, insure that the CENTRAL Site Code is manually entered as well

Delete from CI_ConfigurationItems Where CIType_ID in (1, 6, 8);

Update CI_SDMPackages set IsDeleted = 1 where SourceSite = <central site code>;

Exec sp_DeleteOldSDMPackageData 0;

Wait 15 minutes or so.

3. Force a resync of the Patch data objects by dropping a <child_site_code>.sha file into the Central site's \SMS\inboxes\objmgr.box.

Wait a day or so until objreplmgr.log stops processing. Do not interrupt the process or "try again" or try anything else to fix the problem until all processing is complete as indicated by objreplmgr.log and ciamgr.log.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, June 3, 2011 5:17 AM
    Friday, May 27, 2011 7:09 AM

All replies

• I think, the machine is not getting policies. Did you cheeck the boundaries? ALso, check locationservices.log and clientlocation.log

Try to double confirm the settings in the server side http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb632393.aspx

Anoop C Nair - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:51 AM
  • Hi An00P

The Client is getting the policies as when I disable the Software Updates Agent on the primary site it flows down to the Child site 100%

If I run Machine Policy Retrieval and Evaluation Cycle on the Client I can it it DISABLE the Software Updates Agent and vice versa. So this proves to me that the Client is getting policies from the SITE.

I removed the Boundary and did a AUTO discover on the Client and it complains that it cant find the SITE code. I then put the boundary back and run AUTO discover again from Client and it finds the SITE code. Then proves to me that it is able to talk and get information from the SITE code.

As mentioned.. The policies are working, but Iam trying to find out why when I enable Software Updates Agent that ONLY the Software Updates Deployment Evaluation Cycle appears and not the SOFTWARE UPDATES SCAN CYCLE in the actions pane.

Where are the policies kept on the SITE server or is there a way to reset them.???

Seems like they have gotten corrupt or just not there.

Thanks

Gary

Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:42 AM
  • I am experiencing the absolute exact same issues.  Multiple site codes, one site's clients do not show Software Updates Scan Cycle, etc etc.  I should explain the details, probably, but they match yours, and all my troubleshooting gave the exact same results, too.
    Joe S
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:31 PM
  • Glad Iam not alone on this one.

Next thing to do is redo the SITE completely, but I really need to know why its doing this as all the boxes were built using same software and installation guide and Transfer Wizard was used.

I have a Primary connected to 6 Child sites and one secondary and Only two of the Child sites have this issue. If I move Client to another site and all is fine.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:54 PM
  • Hi Gary,

This issue can be caused by the scan tool received a deletion request from something, maybe the uninstalling and installing of SUP role, after that it may had the missing “Software Update Scan cycle”. The action cannot be get until policy retrieval has occurred after a SUP has been installed. Meanwhile, it won’t scan until the catalog has been synced in Configuration Manager.

You may try the following steps to test:

1.On the child site remove any files that exist from the Retry Retry\Bad and Retry\Badrepl inboxes box.

2. On the child site SQL database run the following query in SQL to remove the bad items

Warning: run this query on the CHILD SITE where the issue is occurring, insure that the CENTRAL Site Code is manually entered as well

Delete from CI_ConfigurationItems Where CIType_ID in (1, 6, 8);

Update CI_SDMPackages set IsDeleted = 1 where SourceSite = <central site code>;

Exec sp_DeleteOldSDMPackageData 0;

Wait 15 minutes or so.

3. Force a resync of the Patch data objects by dropping a <child_site_code>.sha file into the Central site's \SMS\inboxes\objmgr.box.

Wait a day or so until objreplmgr.log stops processing. Do not interrupt the process or "try again" or try anything else to fix the problem until all processing is complete as indicated by objreplmgr.log and ciamgr.log.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, June 3, 2011 5:17 AM
    Friday, May 27, 2011 7:09 AM