none
windows server network adapter speed upgrade from 1GB to 10GB network card. RRS feed

• Question

• we are running Vmware virtual machine in our organization and entire VM are running on network adapter type : E1000E ( 1 GB Speed ). now we are going to upgrade our entire VM network adapter type E1000E to VMXNET 3 ( 10 GB Speed). our environment are running the below roles servers. if i am going to upgrade the vmxnet 3 network adapter card in entire below server VM, will we be facing any issue on below server roles ?

Active directory - windows 2012 R2

MS Exchange 2010  -  Windows 2008 R2 with NLB

MS Exchange 2010  -  Windows 2008 R2 with DAG

• Moved by nzpcmad1 Tuesday, December 5, 2017 5:55 PM From ADFS
    Tuesday, December 5, 2017 10:58 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

this totaly depends on you network setup. We had some issues with Arp Entries after changing the Card in our NLB setup. bij clearing the ARP Cache on our switches this problem was solved.

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 12:48 PM
  • i am going to add the 10 GB interface card in VM and remove the existing 1gb card from the vm. if there any impact on the below role server.

AD server          - 4 Servers

Exchange server NLB & DAG - 4 Servers

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 9:42 AM
  • Hi,

According to my knowledge, we could safely replace the network adapter on DCs, I would suggest you follow the following things:

• Check and save the MAC address of old adapter, then using the MAC address on the new adapter, it could avoid ARP cache issue.
    • Prompt a system backup before replace network adapter, it would be helpful for disaster recovery.
    • Verify whether the current DC is a FSMO role owner, if yes, transfer the role to another DC before replace adapter.
    • Using DCDIAG and REPADMIN tools to verify the DC’s health after changed the network adapter.

As for Exchange, I would suggest you create a new thread in exchange forum for further verify.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-us/home?category=exchangeserver

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 8, 2017 2:36 AM
  • thanks for your valuable support...
    • Marked as answer by Mohanraj A Friday, December 8, 2017 6:54 AM
    Friday, December 8, 2017 6:54 AM
  • Hi,

Your are welcome.

If possible, would you mind mark the helpful reply as answer? It would be helpful for others who has similar query.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 8, 2017 7:02 AM