Disabled Skype meeting plugin RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Has anyone tried to disable skype meeting plugin via GP? Following this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/3097122/skype-meeting-control-is-not-displayed-on-outlook-2016

I noticed that after a restart registry key is restored back. And it does not seem to be cause by skype 4 business starting up or other GP changing they registry key as I have tested already.

MK

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 9:53 AM

All replies

• Hi waer01,

In my experience, it could use GPO to disable add-in by Office ADMX files.

I did a testing with Office 2016.

1. Download the ADMX file, extracted the files and copy them under ADMX to the policy central store (c:\windows\ PolicyDefinitions)

2. Edit the GPO, navigate to “User Configuration” – “Administrative Templates : Policy definition (ADMX file …)” – “Microsoft Outlook 2016” – “Miscellaneous” – “List of managed add-ins”

Enable it and add “UCAddin.LyncAddin.1” with Value “0”. See below:

3. Run “gpupdate /force”, restart the test machine, the add-in is shown disabled by administrator.

Here are some references:

Use GPO disable Office add-in: https://happysccm.com/2016/12/05/disabling-office-add-ins-group-policy

Install the ADMX files: https://www.kapilarya.com/install-office-2016-group-policy-templates-in-windows-10

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft can make no representation concerning the content of these sites. Microsoft is providing this information only as a convenience to you: this is to inform you that Microsoft has not tested any software or information found on these sites and therefore cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software on the Internet.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Shaw_Lu Sunday, May 19, 2019 7:01 AM
    Thursday, May 16, 2019 7:18 AM
  • thanks. this is what I need. I had to move admx under %systemroot%\sysvol\domain\policies\PolicyDefinitions\.

is there any difference in x32 and x64? I guess I need to rename admx  for 32 and 64 bit versions?

• Edited by waer01 Wednesday, May 22, 2019 10:39 AM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2019 10:30 AM
  • Hi waer01,
    In my understanding, if you just need the ADMX/AMDL files, you can download either the 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) files. The ADMX/ADML files are the same for both.
    If you would like to use the Office Customization Tool (OCT) to customize installations, you need to choose the different version files.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Shaw_Lu Wednesday, May 22, 2019 12:37 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Shaw_Lu Thursday, May 23, 2019 6:36 AM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2019 12:36 PM
  • hi,

thanks. I believe you need 2 separate GPOs for x32 and x64 versions. since admx files in x32 and x64 are named the same, I suppose you have to rename if you want to place under the same policy store share. I am just saying because I have a mix of x32 and x64 office 365/ office 2013 installs accross organization. So I will need multiple policies to disable this for all. But x32 version worked when tested, thanks. 

MK

• Proposed as answer by Shaw_Lu Thursday, May 23, 2019 8:47 AM
    Thursday, May 23, 2019 8:44 AM
  • Hi waer01,

Glad to see it works.

In another way, I think the ADMX/ADML files are not architecture-specific. Please refer to this related case.

Meanwhile, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Thank you for your understanding and patience! 

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

• Edited by Shaw_Lu Thursday, May 23, 2019 9:18 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Shaw_Lu Wednesday, June 5, 2019 9:28 AM
    Thursday, May 23, 2019 9:18 AM
  • I am checking the status of this case. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Meanwhile, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Thank you for your understanding and patience!

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Monday, May 27, 2019 7:12 AM
  • Hi,

Do you have any further issue on this topic?

Meanwhile, if there is no issue, please remember to mark helpful reply as answer to close the thread. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

• Proposed as answer by Shaw_Lu Wednesday, June 5, 2019 9:28 AM
    Friday, May 31, 2019 9:28 AM