SIP Trunk with Cisco Callmanager 6.x RRS feed

• Question

• I have Lync 2010 and Cisco Callmanager 6.x. (will likely upgrade both in the near future)  I don't use lync for calls, IM only.  It would be awesome if a users lync status would change based on whether or not they are on the phone, but that only works when calls are placed or received in Lync correct?  Lync won't know if a users places or receives a call from the physical phone?

I guess my basic question is this: Is there a reason to setup a SIP trunk if I'm not placing or receiving calls in Lync?

Monday, July 7, 2014 9:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• Correct, Lync won't know if a Cisco user is on the phone even if a SIP trunk is set up.  There is a way to get this integration if you have a Cisco CUPS server, but I'm not sure about your version: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cups/8_6/english/integration_notes/IntegrationNote_CUP86_MicrosoftLyncServer2010_RCC.html

The only reason to set up a SIP trunk between Call Manager and Lync is to get calls to and from Lync. 

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

Monday, July 7, 2014 9:33 PM
  • Agree with Anthony on using CUPS if this is what you want, the other (less preferred way, because the UX is a little clunky) way is CUCILYNC

If this helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer"

Georg Thomas | Lync MVP
    Blog www.lynced.com.au | Twitter @georgathomas
    Lync Edge Port Check (Beta)

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 12:02 AM
  • Lync client publish the presence to Lync Server and retrieve the presence from Lync Server and Exchange Server. The presence doesn’t indicate whether it is on physical phone.

As you need IM only, SIP trunk is not necessary.

Lisa Zheng
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 8:51 AM
  • Thanks!  I did not know about CUPS, I'll look into it.
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 8:16 PM