none
DPM 2010 - Notifications not working RRS feed

• Question

• Question:

Has anyone experienced an issue where the DPM 2010 notifications are not working?    We have correctly setup the SMTP server and have used the "Send Test Notification" button.  We get the test emails, but none of the real notifications.

Ideas?

Eric S.
    Friday, July 9, 2010 3:39 AM

Answers

• Likely the notification you want to see require to enable "Informational".
    Yes this may delivermore than you seek but is current situation.
    You also have to add recipient to receiver of informationals.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, October 18, 2010 9:25 PM

All replies

• Likely the notification you want to see require to enable "Informational".
    Yes this may delivermore than you seek but is current situation.
    You also have to add recipient to receiver of informationals.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, October 18, 2010 9:25 PM
  • I am having this problem as well on one of my two DPM servers.  The only messages that are not being sent out are the Critical, Warning and Informational message notifications.  The major differences between the two systems is the problematic one is running 2008 R2 SP1 and locally hosted SQL 2008 SP2.  The other system is 2008 R2 and SWL2008 SP1.

-Test messages are sent out

-Report messages & attachments are sent out and received

- Utilizing an internal SMTP open relay (Sendmail).  Checking logs on this SMTP server there is NO attempt by DPM to deliver the Critical, Warning or Informational messages.  

• Affected system is running Windows 2008 R2 SP1

• Affected System is running DPM 2010 with March 2011 Rollup

Is this an issue with SQL? or a simply some bug in DPM?

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:43 PM
  • Solution:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection
    Manager\Notification
    Blank out SmtpPassword and SMTPUserName
    I know this sounds counterintuitive and odd but even if you are sending email through an open relay you need to do the following:
    • Create another local admin account
    • Put this account credential Servername\account into the user name field as well as the password
    Once I did this notifications worked. Even though I am not utilizing authenticated it had to be there. 

Hope this helps someone at some point. 

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:31 PM
  • Solution:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection

Manager\Notification
    Blank out SmtpPassword and SMTPUserName
    I know this sounds counterintuitive and odd but even if you are sending email through an open relay you need to do the following:
    • Create another local admin account
    • Put this account credential Servername\account into the user name field as well as the password
    Once I did this notifications worked. Even though I am not utilizing authenticated it had to be there. 

Hope this helps someone at some point. 

Hi Malunx,

Thank you for sharing this information. Did this fix come from PSS? If you run a blog this would make a for a good blog post.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterdataprotectionmanager.com

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:46 PM