Roaming IMAP accounts in outlook 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way of getting IMAP accounts to roam between machines?

We have some users who log into different PC's and each time we have to add the IMAP mailbox manually for them. I remember there was a known issue with this with Outlook 2010 but has this been resolved with Office 2013?

Thanks

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 9:25 AM

Answers

We have some users who log into different PC's and each time we have to add the IMAP mailbox manually for them. I remember there was a known issue with this with Outlook 2010 but has this been resolved with Office 2013?

Thanks

Hi Dean,

Unfortunately, I am afraid there is no method in Outlook 2013 to meet your requirement.

Beginning with Outlook 2013, there are changes in how IMAP accounts are handled. Instead of IMAP PST file in Outlook 2010, Outlook 2013 uses an .ost file for IMAP accounts. And Outlook 2013 cannot directly open/move OST IMAP file between computers.

If you are using Roaming profile or save the IMAP OST file in a network path for using in different client for the same user, there may be some unexpected behavior in Outlook 2013 for client users. 

It is recommended to setup individual OST IMAP profile in different computers for local cache and remember to back up IMAP mailbox (mails, Calendars, Notes, Contacts etc.) with PST file regularly if they are important.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 16, 2017 9:06 AM

All replies

Thanks

Hi Dean,

Unfortunately, I am afraid there is no method in Outlook 2013 to meet your requirement.

Beginning with Outlook 2013, there are changes in how IMAP accounts are handled. Instead of IMAP PST file in Outlook 2010, Outlook 2013 uses an .ost file for IMAP accounts. And Outlook 2013 cannot directly open/move OST IMAP file between computers.

If you are using Roaming profile or save the IMAP OST file in a network path for using in different client for the same user, there may be some unexpected behavior in Outlook 2013 for client users. 

It is recommended to setup individual OST IMAP profile in different computers for local cache and remember to back up IMAP mailbox (mails, Calendars, Notes, Contacts etc.) with PST file regularly if they are important.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 16, 2017 9:06 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If my reply is helpful to this question, please remember to mark it as answer. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding. 

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Friday, November 24, 2017 10:55 AM
  • Hi Winnie 

Thanks for the information, i will pass this onto management for them to decide a way forward

Monday, November 27, 2017 9:23 AM