Need to configure SR notification workflow to go out to when In-Progress RRS feed

• Question

• I need an SR notification to go out to the end users when the SR status goes to 'In Progress' versus 'New'. The template is letting them know that we have received it and are working on it, so usually 'New' would be okay, but we have an 'Update Title' activity that kicks off when the status goes from 'New' to 'In Progress' and need that updated title to be included in the notification. I have tested the workflow several times using the 'In Progress' and it doesn't work. The only way I could get this to work in the mean time was to set it to 'New', but then the end users are not getting the updated title. Any suggestions here?

Here is way I toggled back and forth between 'New' and 'In Progress' and can only successfully kick off the notification with status set to 'New'....

Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:49 PM

Answers

• your requirement: send an email notification to the 'Affected User' (requestor) including the new Title which was updated using 'update title' activity.

as the guys advised, the best solution is to send the email notification when the 'update title' activity is completed. In other words, when the Service Request Title is updated.

Correct, the email notification can be sent when the activity is completed but this requires

• to pass the Parent Work Item data (in your scenario it's the new SR Title) to child item (the 'update title' activity). to do that, you need to edit the XML code of the notification template using SeedRole=’Target’ , this link explains in details what I am talking about http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2012/04/03/using-data-properties-from-the-parent-work-items-in-activity-email-templates.aspx 
    • you need to configure the Subscription (class: Activity) when the Activity Status changed from 'In Progress' to 'Completed' with some additional criteria that applies to that activity *only* otherwise that notification  will be sent for every single Activity (regardless of the SR template) when is completed.
    • the Related Recipient must equals to the Affected User of the SR which requires editing the Subscription XML code by adding SeedRole=’Target’ again
    • just on a side note: you may need to press 'Apply' on the Service Request when the title is updated before marking the Activity as Completed in order to send the new updated title in the Activity Notification

Another way of doing it, which's easier (at least for me :) :

• configure the SR template with a pre-defined Title (e.g. Old Title), which will be used as a criteria in the SR workflow.
    • Administration > Notification > Subscription, Class: Service Request (notify when the abject is updated), Criteria: changed from Title equal to 'Old Title' / Changed To Title does not equal 'Old Title' (this guarantees that the notification will only be sent when the Title has changed)
    • Related Recipient: Affected User (this option is straight forward and does not require editing the XML codes)

• Edited by Ayman Yassine Friday, October 11, 2013 12:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by kristalee Friday, October 11, 2013 9:47 AM
    Friday, October 11, 2013 12:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If I understand, you want to notify enduser after updated title ?

For me the best way it's to send notification when the activity status of "Update Title" change from "In progress" to "Completed" ...

Remy BOVI

• Proposed as answer by Aaron Croasmun Thursday, October 10, 2013 4:07 PM
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 3:54 PM
  • Remy is correct. The appropriate time to send out that notification is after the Update Title activity has completed (therefore assuring that the title has in fact been updated).

If you send out the notification when the SR goes in progress, the notification still may not have the updated title because your "update title" activity hasn't necessarily done its thing yet. (Remember, workflows run in parallel with no sequencing except the sequencing we impose on them)

Furthermore, when you setup your workflow, on the "Workflow Information" screen, you'll want to choose the trigger "When object of class is updated". (Your current trigger appears to be "when it's created"). Then, on the Specify Criteria screen, you'll see two tabs.. "Changed From" and "Changed To". This allows you to trigger the workflow only when the old value and new value of some property meets your criteria.

For example, you could create a workflow targetting your Update Title activity (preferably a custom activity class). The trigger would be "When it's updated". The criteria for "Changed From" would be "Status does not equal Completed" and "Changed To" would be "Status equals Completed".

In this way, when your Update Title activity's status changes from "not completed" to "completed", your workflow will execute, sending your notification.

• Unmarked as answer by kristalee Friday, October 11, 2013 9:51 AM
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 4:07 PM
  • your requirement: send an email notification to the 'Affected User' (requestor) including the new Title which was updated using 'update title' activity.

as the guys advised, the best solution is to send the email notification when the 'update title' activity is completed. In other words, when the Service Request Title is updated.

Correct, the email notification can be sent when the activity is completed but this requires

• to pass the Parent Work Item data (in your scenario it's the new SR Title) to child item (the 'update title' activity). to do that, you need to edit the XML code of the notification template using SeedRole=’Target’ , this link explains in details what I am talking about http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2012/04/03/using-data-properties-from-the-parent-work-items-in-activity-email-templates.aspx 
    • you need to configure the Subscription (class: Activity) when the Activity Status changed from 'In Progress' to 'Completed' with some additional criteria that applies to that activity *only* otherwise that notification  will be sent for every single Activity (regardless of the SR template) when is completed.
    • the Related Recipient must equals to the Affected User of the SR which requires editing the Subscription XML code by adding SeedRole=’Target’ again
    • just on a side note: you may need to press 'Apply' on the Service Request when the title is updated before marking the Activity as Completed in order to send the new updated title in the Activity Notification

Another way of doing it, which's easier (at least for me :) :

• configure the SR template with a pre-defined Title (e.g. Old Title), which will be used as a criteria in the SR workflow.
    • Administration > Notification > Subscription, Class: Service Request (notify when the abject is updated), Criteria: changed from Title equal to 'Old Title' / Changed To Title does not equal 'Old Title' (this guarantees that the notification will only be sent when the Title has changed)
    • Related Recipient: Affected User (this option is straight forward and does not require editing the XML codes)

• Edited by Ayman Yassine Friday, October 11, 2013 12:45 AM
    Friday, October 11, 2013 12:01 AM
  • Aaron: I tested with your answer and it would kick off that notification between each activity in the SR so that method wouldn't work as I only need this notification to serve as receipt of SR to the end user.

Ayman: I opted to test with your easier method and that worked great! Thanks for the assistance with this.

Friday, October 11, 2013 9:50 AM