Multiple problems in word 2007, Page numbers, error when printing, and app freezes after printing. RRS feed

• Question

• The computer that I am working with has Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit with MS Office 07.  The person who is creating and prinitng the documents in question is using Track Changes with Final Showing Markup when she prints the document.  It often, but not all times, gives an error stating "There is a problem saving the file", "Usually this is because the disk or floppy disk is too small for the file or is ful, RAM memory is low, or there is a permission problem with the drive the firl is being saved to".  Along with this problem, the page numbers that is in the footer show normal on screen and in print preview, but after printing the document, for example, a 20 page doc will have 1 of 20 on every page.  Along with all of this, at times, Word will lock up after the file prints. 

I have tried the documents from my own computer to the same printer(s) that she is using.  Used 3 different printers to test.  The problem did not happen on my computer, and also did not happen on the users when the tracking was off or just the Final document was printed.  Any ideas?

David Hood
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:07 PM

Answers

• Take a look at the Tracked Changes Option settings on her system and compare it to yours and others that are working. There is a setting to Preserve the paper orientation when printing. I've never touched this setting so I'll assume mine is set on the default of Preserve. There are two other settings, one to Force Landscape and the other just called Auto.

Just a stab in the dark.

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:06 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 2:19 AM

All replies

• I don’t know anything about the file saving error, but it’s a known issue that fields may not display correctly when Track Changes is activated. They will, however, after you have turned off the feature and accepted (or rejected) all changes.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:55 PM
  • There's a possibility that her print driver is not up-to-date for her 64-bit OS configuration.

Friday, October 14, 2011 1:12 AM
  • We all have the same printers and print drivers installed from the server so I don't think that could be it, otherwise more people would be having a similar problem.  There are 6 printers over all on the floor that I work on and 3 of them are HP black and white and the other 3 are HP colors.  This one person is the only one having the problem and to my knowledge it just started doing this.  The documents that she is working with are from a template and all of the changes that are made are tracked and for some reason needs to be printed.  This is where she is running into the problem.  When the changes are not showing by choosing "Final" on the Review tab then it prints fine and all pages are numbered correctly and Word does not freeze.  If she has been doing this all along with no problem, then what changed in Office or with Windows?  I un-installed Office 07 and then re-installed it before leaving work today so maybe she will notice a change in the morning when she gets to work.  If that fixed the problem then I will repost.
    David Hood
    Friday, October 14, 2011 1:54 AM
  • Take a look at the Tracked Changes Option settings on her system and compare it to yours and others that are working. There is a setting to Preserve the paper orientation when printing. I've never touched this setting so I'll assume mine is set on the default of Preserve. There are two other settings, one to Force Landscape and the other just called Auto.

Just a stab in the dark.

• Marked as answer by Max Meng Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:06 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 2:19 AM