Attachments stripped on incoming mails RRS feed

• Question

• Hello world!

I was wondering if someone can help me out with an MS Exchange vs. Google Apps obstacle.

An external employee sends a mail from their MAPI account (Google Apps) to an employee within my company (we're using MS Exchange 2010 R1), with an attachment of 89 KB (.pdf file).

When the mail is sent from the other side, it leaves their Mail Client with the whole encoding part (mail content) but when reaching its destination (our Exchange infra), it shows an empty attachment (looks like its converted to a .msg file within the mail itself) of 1 KB size, thus the attachment is gone.

As this is an external client, I couldn't obtain enough info about their way of working, but I managed to get the same mail forwarded to my external e-mail address of Google Mail (Gmail.com).

This was correctly received by google mail server (see the header on the attachment Header_Mail_OK.txt.)

http://sdrv.ms/Xq1W5j

1) When I forwarded the same mail to my company's mail (reminder: we're using Exchange 2010 R1), the mail is missing it's content (the attachment) and the header is shortened (see the header on the attachment Header_Mail_NOK.txt)

http://sdrv.ms/Xq20SJ

2) When I forwarded the same mail to my hotmail account, the attachment is stripped again.
    3) Forwarded the same mail to another exchange server (another company) running Exchange 2007, the attachment is stripped.
    4) Forwarded the same mail to another mail infra (Domain mail.com = no idea what mail server this uses) => mail is correctly received with the attachment.

Been looking for some help over the internet, but couldn't find any appropriate solutions.

Additional info/tests:
    In my company, we use Postini as mail filtering but no blocking issue from this side.
    On our servers we use Forefront protection, but mails are not being blocked.

I would appreciate your help.

Kind Regards,
    Dardan

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 1:52 PM

All replies

• Sounds like an encoding issue.

If you send a pdf as attachment from hotmail to your domain, how does it look then?

I would say have your external employee contact their support regarding e-mail encoding if it works sending pdf-files from other sources than their current provider.

stefan@xperta

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 1:58 PM
  • Hi Stefan, thanks for your reply.

Just tested by sending the same .pdf file from my Hotmail/Gmail account to my company's e-mail address => received correctly.

I can make an attempt to contact the external party, I'd need to have some proof/arguments.

I wonder why Exchange or MS related mail servers do not receive this type of mail(s)?

Any idea what kind of mail server does Google use?

Kr,

Dardan

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 3:17 PM
  • Hi

Did you try both on Outlook and OWA? Please have a check with OWA if the problem still happen.

Also have a check on below thread

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/exchange2010/thread/a4f11f58-46c7-41e9-8dc7-26d04e5fdffe

Hope the solutions there could help

Cheers

Zi Feng
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 6, 2012 7:42 AM
  • Hello,

Checked via OWA, same results, attachment is still stripped. Actually when checking the incoming mail on the edge server / Postini filtering, the mail size looks too small on this level as well, so I have no clue what the probem may be.

Looked on the above stated article, but none of these proposed (potential) solutions are applicable, as we do not use GFI MailSecurity nor MailEssentials. Forefront was also disabled while performing tests.

Any other suggestions which may lead to a potential solution?

• Proposed as answer by _DHuang_ Friday, May 24, 2013 4:10 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by _DHuang_ Friday, May 24, 2013 4:10 AM
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:36 AM
  • Hi,

I think this is a known issue with Google Apps, where our clients are experiencing.

http://support.google.com/a/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=known_issues.cs

Incomplete email attachments (.msg or .eml) when sending from Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook to Exchange users
    Status: Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook users sending email attachments (.MSG or .EML) to Microsoft Outlook users hosted on a legacy Exchange environment may receive an incomplete or missing attachment. Workaround: When attaching an email message as 'Outlook item' select 'Insert as Text Only'. This will copy the message attachment as text to the body of the new email. updated 02/07/2013

Friday, May 24, 2013 4:10 AM