Windows 7 keeps changing the default printer RRS feed

• Question

• I have to keep resetting my default printer in Windows 7. This happens at home with my Oki C5100 and at work with a Lexmark C544. I will go to print a document and get a message that I must choose a printer, and I'll need to reset the default. Is there a fix for this?
    Friday, January 22, 2010 1:04 PM

All replies

• Wait a minute, now are you using the SAME machine at both work and home?  You could use location awareness in Windows 7 if you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate. Here's the link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/location-aware-printing

Location-Aware Printing

Do you routinely print to multiple printers from your laptop? Now you don't have to manually switch printers when you go from, say, home to work. Windows 7 does it automatically.

The new feature, included in the Professional and Ultimate editions of Windows 7, works like this: Whenever you print, Windows 7 remembers which network and printer you're using. Next time you return to that spot, Windows automatically switches the default printer to match the one you last used. You can also manually pair printers and networks.

Picture of Location-Aware PrintingWith Location-Aware Printing, all you need to do is click Print.

MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Friday, January 22, 2010 2:52 PM
  • This happens to me as well and my computer never changes networks. For some reason, it will randomly set a label printer as the default. Every so often, it simply clears the default printer and none of them are set as default. Any thoughts?
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 3:57 PM
  • Agreed.  There must be something in the label software, or driver. Although Im not sure the driver could make a system change like that.  Are you running the application bundled with the Label Printer?

This can be the only thing, if you are not changing networks... imho.

Network Systems Engineer * Zvetco Biometrics * Windows Server 2008 R2 * Core2 6600 @ 3.30GHz * 16 GIGS RAM * NVIDIA 9400GT * **>>PLEASE VOTE POSTS AS USEFUL TO ASSIST OTHER USERS<
    Monday, May 17, 2010 7:45 PM
  • Is this a dymo labelwriter 450 turbo or similar? I keep having this issue with a win7pro64bit box and quickbooks keeps getting the blame....
    -m-
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 9:30 PM
  • i have the same problem here with a user.

when he change to a another printer and he log out and back in, then change windows 7 enterprice back to the default printer..

Friday, August 5, 2011 7:27 AM
  • Has anyone come up with a solution for this issue? I have the same problem with my Dymo Label Printer Duo. Every time I print a label the Label printer becomes the default. No matter how many times I change it back every time I print a label it becomes the default. This is a recnt issue I have been using Win10 for months with no problem.
    Thursday, January 28, 2016 3:05 AM
  • This has been happening to me also..windows 10 but it just recently started...i have wasted SOOOO many labels.  If ANYONE figures out what is going on with this program please let me know!
    Friday, February 12, 2016 8:34 PM
  • How to stop Windows 10 from changing the default printer
    http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-changing-the-default-printer/
    Friday, February 12, 2016 9:06 PM