none
External Users status as of 2017

Question

• Hello SharePoint Online Forum,

I have looked through a lot of Q&A that seems vintage 2013 at the latest and so I am unsure of the current status.  Can a subscription of SharePoint Online be used primarily as a document holding area/center for our external customers?

It would be critical that they, upon sign in, only see docs in their designated area/folder.

Their email addresses would be a wide variety of private company domains and/or any of the possible public email domains - if that is important.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:43 PM

Answers

• Yes, as long as they are actually external users then you can easily setup a secure extranet environment where you can give customers access to their files without giving other external customers access.  It will require the customer to have either a Microsoft Account (LiveId) or an Organizational Account (Azure AD).  But after that you can assign permissions to them the same way you would to other internal users.  I work for a consulting firm and we have an extensive Office 365 extranet for collaborating with our clients.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:58 PM