Registry deleted automatically after closing the shortcut in App-V (Stand alone mode without streaming) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Im using an OSD script in Pre Launch mode in one of the shortcut which runs a vbs. The vbs imports the regsitry (.reg file) using the reg import function (.reg file has the server names).

On launching the shortcut i can see the registry getting imported correctly by opening Registry Editor(have another shortcut pointing to it), however once i close down both the shortcut (the OSD one and the registry editor) and wait for both of them to shutdown and then retry launching the Registry Editor shortcut i can see that all the registry from that hive has been deleted and only the server names are seen.

Any one got any reason why this would be happening?

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:53 AM

Answers

• Well it was not actually deleting the registry when i did more research on this.

Its very intresting what i have found.

The was sequenced on 64 bit. In the OSD i had used the below for running the vbs (which imports the .reg file):
    <HREF>%windir%\system32\cscript.exe -nologo "%programfiles(x86)%\testing\test.vbs"</HREF>
    The .reg file had 64bit as well as 32bit registry, hence when the vbs was running from OSD it would write correctly the 64bit registry as well as the 32bit registry also, but after closing the shortcut in the 32bit registry (under Wow6432Node) would be disappeared and only the values from .reg file would be seen. Hence i feel that it does not actually remove the registry but it only shows in the view (as the app functions correctly).

Also since the app was 32bit and hence only registry under Wow6432Node was required, i changed the .reg file and remove all references of Wow6432Node and used the 32bit cscript.exe to run the vbs (so that it writes the values to the Wow6432Node)
    <HREF>%windir%\sysWow64\cscript.exe -nologo "%programfiles(x86)%\testing\test.vbs"</HREF>

This has helped me resolve the issue.

• Marked as answer by Sujit J Friday, October 25, 2013 11:37 AM
    Friday, October 25, 2013 11:37 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Most likely the application itself would be responsible for such behavior. If you use Process Monitor you could review what is happening during closure and startup of the application.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:36 AM
  • Well it was not actually deleting the registry when i did more research on this.

Its very intresting what i have found.

The was sequenced on 64 bit. In the OSD i had used the below for running the vbs (which imports the .reg file):
    <HREF>%windir%\system32\cscript.exe -nologo "%programfiles(x86)%\testing\test.vbs"</HREF>
    The .reg file had 64bit as well as 32bit registry, hence when the vbs was running from OSD it would write correctly the 64bit registry as well as the 32bit registry also, but after closing the shortcut in the 32bit registry (under Wow6432Node) would be disappeared and only the values from .reg file would be seen. Hence i feel that it does not actually remove the registry but it only shows in the view (as the app functions correctly).

Also since the app was 32bit and hence only registry under Wow6432Node was required, i changed the .reg file and remove all references of Wow6432Node and used the 32bit cscript.exe to run the vbs (so that it writes the values to the Wow6432Node)
    <HREF>%windir%\sysWow64\cscript.exe -nologo "%programfiles(x86)%\testing\test.vbs"</HREF>

This has helped me resolve the issue.

• Marked as answer by Sujit J Friday, October 25, 2013 11:37 AM
    Friday, October 25, 2013 11:37 AM