Can I setup RDP access by establishing vpn? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am going to setup a dedicated server running windows server 2012 and hyper-v. I want to setup some sort of vpn that would prevent rdp access from the public internet (i.e. you have to establish vpn first to reach the server via rdp).

I know that windows server has options for this, such as rras and direct access, and forefront (an option) can do this (I think). Are any of these viable? Is this something Forefront TMG can do, or one of the other products? I am new to VPNs (I am a developer) and Forefront, but if the capability is in the product, I will learn it!

Thanks
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 10:48 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

it is possible with Forefront TMG to limit access to specific protocols / destinations in the VPN tunnel. The same is true with Windows Server 2012 as aVPN Server and basic packet filter rules

regards Marc Grote aka Jens Baier - www.it-training-grote.de - www.forefront-tmg.de - www.nt-faq.de

Thursday, January 3, 2013 11:00 AM
  • Hi,

I was looking at the forums and your replies are excellent. :) 

Great, so I can use this as the solution. This is just a personal dev environment (this hyper-v server) so I don't need the best of everything.

Is it ok for tmg to run in a vm with 2 NICs? Also, is there any resources that explains the difference between tmg, uag, etc? I am new to this. :)

Also, do you have any links to hand that explain what I am trying to do?
    • Edited by GSS1 Thursday, January 3, 2013 11:09 AM
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 11:04 AM
  • BTW, can I use UAG for this?
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the post.

“Is it ok for tmg to run in a vm with 2 NICs?”- yes, you can deploy TMG Edge Firewall with two network adapters as a VM. As for difference between TMG and UAG, please refer to this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/forefrontedgeiag/thread/b8d0e1fe-9ab6-4b88-a2cc-4ad016c45196/

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT

Friday, January 4, 2013 8:22 AM