none
Can't open Project 2016 file in Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I had a working project that I'd been working with my team on in Project 2010. 

I got a new laptop and got Project 2016 to continue working on the existing team project.

After a few days of making updates to the file, one of my team members told me that the latest copy of the Project file, that I'd been making updates to, wasn't opening on their computer which is running Project 2010.

I thought 2010 and 16 were compatible, but when I saw my colleague try opening the file an error window appeared and said that the file was in a newer version and contains advanced functionality that isn't supported in 2010. I thought that would just take out and 2016 exclusive functionalities, but after clicking ok and proceeding, the Project opened but was completely blank as if starting a new Project. 

I've messed around in my 2016 version to see if I could change things to make it compatible again, but no progress. I can't think of anything that I've done differently in 2016 that I used to in 2010. I haven't explored and tried adding new functionalities in either. 

Any help is appreciated!

Friday, October 7, 2016 6:48 PM

All replies

• Have you added any dates or exceptions beyond 2049?

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Friday, October 7, 2016 8:58 PM
  • Arshad - Can you try saving your project to the 2010 version. Open the project in Project Pro 2016, go to File--> Save as--> and select "Save as Type" option to the desired 2010 format.

Let you team member use the saved version until his/her project is upgraded to 2016.

let me know if this works.

Monday, October 17, 2016 10:05 AM
  • IMPORTANT. For any application, including Project, it is only safe to share files between versions if both versions are fully updated.

Obviously Project 2010 when it was released could not know of any tweaks to the file structure that 2016 might need, but the latest update to Project 2010 will. Project 2016 had some small bugs on release (there are still some) and the latest update fixes most of them.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book and VBA developer.
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Friday, October 21, 2016 9:38 PM
  • Late to the party, but in case anyone else happens upon this problem, try this:

I found a problem regarding Summary Tasks being Manually Scheduled.

MS Project 2016 allows this, but MS Project 2010 does not, even though they use the same file structure.

I discovered while testing an export to 2007 file format:  a warning for Manually scheduled summary task.

I changed it to Auto scheduled.  Saved the MS Project 2016 file format.  And was able to open in MS Project 2010.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 11:49 AM