It's the old Windows 7 disappearing DVD ROM/Burner trick again RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP Pavillion DV9715nr laptop on which I've boosted the O/S to Windows 7 (factory default, of course, is Vista) so naturally HP, who I've approached about this, isn't on speaking terms with me because I used a retail version of Windows 7 Ultimate instead of theirs.  Too bad.  so within a few months of installing my DVD suddenly went missing.  I went through several troubleshooting loops (registry entry mods, take it out, boot up, shut down, put it back in again, etc.) all to no effect.  I thought the drive was dead so I dropped a brand spankin new HP OEM replacement part in and nothing...   I mean gone, like there might as well just be a hole there where the drive is plugged in.  Doesn't appear in:

1. Windows explorer

2. System Information

3. Disk Management

4. Device Manager

The device is totally MIA.  The only way I know that it's plugged in is that the drawer electrically operates.  Yes I have physically examined the connectors on both sides of the connection and they look normal.  If some one is going to try and tell me this is payback for going around the HP O/S upgrade circus... (eyes are rolling) c'mon give me A break.

Friday, October 29, 2010 12:20 AM

Answers

• Hi,

OK, you can perform this action to have a test.

Do you have a bootable disk? If so, please insert it into your drive, and select "Boot from Cd-Rom" in your Boot Menu. If your computer can boot from the disk.

This indicates your drive is good. If failed, it indicates your drive is broken.

• Marked as answer by smilingsteve Wednesday, November 10, 2010 4:55 PM
    Friday, November 5, 2010 8:21 AM

All replies

• Does the DVD drive show up if you boot into the bios setup? Did you try switching cables?
    theWeissGuy
    Friday, October 29, 2010 2:19 AM
  • The BIOS is locked down (an HP feature) all I can do is enable or disable boot from an optical drive or choose the boot order.  I can't even see what HDD I have installed.  Not sure what you mean by cables?  As I said; I swapped out the old drive, which I thought was dead, for a brand new one that achieved the same results. 
    Friday, October 29, 2010 2:44 AM
  • Hi,

You can refer to the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

Monday, November 1, 2010 9:28 AM
  • Juke,

I believe this is the right reg folder as specified in the instruction link you sent for CDROM/DVDROM filter entery modification:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

The instructions say "IF you have.." said filters, what if you don't?  (I don't) what then?

P.S.  Let me re-iterate:  It isn't simply a case of the optical drive not working, it doesn't even show up period! Refer to my original question above.  Again, it's like there might as well be a hole there where the drive is sitting.

Monday, November 1, 2010 8:05 PM
  • Hi,

If you don't have, you can create one.

Make sure the drive already appeared in the bios configuration, if not, you need check the cable  and the mainboard port. you can aslo try whether the drive can work on the other computer.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 9:16 AM
  • PLEASE, go back to the top of this column and re-read the original post.

1. Remember this is a LAPTOP not a desktop computer.

2. With out disassembling the computer I have done all I can do to check the connector that the optical drive plugs in to.  I don't mean to be snide but you are aware of the geography of optical drive placement in laptop computers are you not?  The drawer opens and closes.  That means it works electrically.  If it didn't then I would say that the board connection is dead.  This doesn't seem to be the case.

3. This an HP machine.  That means the BIOS is "LOCKED DOWN"!  I can't see anything in it except the processor. I've already said this, all I can do is enable/disable boot from CD/DVD (currently enabled) and change the boot order (currently the optical drive is top of the list). That's it.

I am looking for another similar Pavillion DV machine to swap with but have not found one as yet (please recall this drive was brand new out of the box).

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 5:03 PM
  • Hi,

1. If the drive is normal drive of Laptop, it can also replace with the other computer.

2. Maybe the cable connection only connect the power or the port can only provide power to the drive. Of course the computer can't detect it.

3. Although the computer is from OEM, but I believe the BIOS can provide the drive information. So check it whether it is locked by Administrator Password.

Above all, maybe your issue is caused by your drive hardware.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 9:58 AM
  • 1. This optical drive can only be interchanged with/to another "DV" series HP laptop like its self.

2. Let me be clear about this:  There are no cables associated with this device.  Remember: This is a LAPTOP not a desktop, it is a drawer enclosed in a metal case with a connector on the back that plugs in to  an opposite soldered on to a board inside the LAPTOP.  EVERYTHING goes through this connector.  Power, Data, everything.  If this connector (the one in the LAPTOP) had bad pins in it the only way I'd know is by swapping out the drive to another LAPTOP like it.  I've been looking to see if I can find one to do that with but so far no luck with that.

3. Forget about the BIOS as near as I can tell there is no way to unlock it.  Actually I guess there's nothing to unlock it was written like that.

I am beginning to believe that the answer to this problem will have to begin with putting the default O/S back on the machine.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 2:19 AM
  • Hi,

As we know, the cable isn't limited in the area where you can see, inside the drive or the port of mainboard there also have cable. I only want to tell you that it is possible the drive's physical (power supply) part can work, but can't read anything.

In this case, I mean that your drive's power supply do not have problem, but your drive's data parts cause this issue.

So, the best way to check out where is the issue, you need to replace a good one to have a test.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 9:03 AM
  • I'm pretty sure I already said that. 

Look, I'm looking for logical answers and/or an approach to the problem that I haven't already thought of or tried here and I sorry but I'm just not hearing anything useful in all this.  I do appreciate your input but this just doesn't seem to be getting any where.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 4:40 PM
  • Hi,

OK, you can perform this action to have a test.

Do you have a bootable disk? If so, please insert it into your drive, and select "Boot from Cd-Rom" in your Boot Menu. If your computer can boot from the disk.

This indicates your drive is good. If failed, it indicates your drive is broken.

• Marked as answer by smilingsteve Wednesday, November 10, 2010 4:55 PM
    Friday, November 5, 2010 8:21 AM