XP Compatibillity RRS feed

• Question

• We produce golf fitting related hardware and software that runs on 32 bit windows operating systems and has non-whql drivers, which work fine in Xp and Vista.

I noticed that the Windows 7 release candidate is Ultimate - most of our customers will buy consumer pc's using the Home Premium or equivalent operating system, at best they will buy proffessional.

Does this  release candidate contain a more sophisticated compatibillity mode than that intended for the Home Premium operating system. Since in W7 release information it states that virtual XP is available in Ultimate and Enterprise, which will be sold to businesses only. Where does that leave the consumer has far as XP compatibllity is concened.

Regards H 

Monday, August 17, 2009 2:32 PM

Answers

• The RC (like the public beta) is Ultimate because it contains all of the features of the other editions; it was released that way for testing purposes. But, you are correct, many consumers will be purchasing the Home editions or Professional.

Don't confuse XP compatibility with XPM. There are many XP applications (some with their own drivers) that will work in Windows 7. XP Mode (XPM) is a virtual machine environment that allows a Windows 7 host to simultaneously run the XP operating system (and applications) in a virtual machine; and it is primarily targeted at enterprises to allow them a migration path from XP to Windows 7.

You say your products run in Vista...have you tried running them in Windows 7? What where the results?

If your hardware drivers and software do not work in Windows 7, then like other hardware/software providers, you'll need to update your products to be Windows 7 compatible.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:53 AM

All replies

• The RC (like the public beta) is Ultimate because it contains all of the features of the other editions; it was released that way for testing purposes. But, you are correct, many consumers will be purchasing the Home editions or Professional.

Don't confuse XP compatibility with XPM. There are many XP applications (some with their own drivers) that will work in Windows 7. XP Mode (XPM) is a virtual machine environment that allows a Windows 7 host to simultaneously run the XP operating system (and applications) in a virtual machine; and it is primarily targeted at enterprises to allow them a migration path from XP to Windows 7.

You say your products run in Vista...have you tried running them in Windows 7? What where the results?

If your hardware drivers and software do not work in Windows 7, then like other hardware/software providers, you'll need to update your products to be Windows 7 compatible.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:53 AM
  • Sorry for the delayed reply and thanks for yours, its much appreciated.

Our software and drivers will work on 32 bit windows 7  (not on 64 bit, not written for it yet don't ask corporate thing:()

However,  from what you've said the consumer versions of Windows 7 will have XP compatibillity mode, just not XPM, and in that case our software, which is currently working in xp compatibillity mode for this Win 7 RC, should continue to work in either premium or professional?

However, my guess is that my real problem is going to be how to find a customer a consumer priced computer from a mainstream retailer with Windows 7 operating 32 bit. i'm thinking they won't ship 32 bit to dell or anyone else they will just have it as an option to install when you buy the opreating ssytem off the shelf. do think this statement is true.

Thanks again for your help

Regards, Howard

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:52 PM
  • Hi
    Fo added info.
    windows xp mode will also be available on xp proffessional. Your 32 bit software should run on windows 7 64 without problems in x86 mode were it should be in the x86 program files directory. I have found some older installers will not however run in 64 bit systems so making installing old software to the x86 directory impossible. The only way round this is to repackage the software in a compatable installer and use that to install. The other problem you may face is with drivers and i can see no way round that one 64 bit machines expect 64 bit drivers. If your customers have xp mode as on proffesional and above please remember this is a virtual machine and may not provide the full facillities of the parent machine.
    malc
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:13 PM
  • Thanks for your answer it was much more helpful than a 1 but my browser threw a fit. and it wouldnt let me correct.

I think you're right with the drivers. They say drivers for windows 7 are going to be easier to write, could a newbie write them, or is this experienced programmer only territory?

Also, what do you think the likelyhood is of retailers putting 32 bit op systems of windows 7 preinstalled on their laptops. they hardly sel,those now, so I'm assuming it's only going to be available boxed and off the shelf.

H
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 3:36 PM