none
Restore of Hyper-V guest on secondary DPM server RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DPM environment with a primary DPM server, which once a day replicates it's data to a secondary server. Mostly there are Hyper-V servers (.vhd files) which are protected, and the communication link between primary/secondary server/site is 10Mbit/s. There are one Hyper-V host on each site. If I would need to restore a VM from the secondary DPM server, I can only see the option of "copy to a network folder". Here I can only choose either to restore to local volumes to my two DPM servers, which isn't very good as some of the VMs are quite large. Attaching the DPM agent of the Hyper-V host wouldn't be possible without interfering with the primary protection, so what is the best way to perform this? Restoring from the primary server is of course possible, but it takes too long time to transfer 200-300GB over a 10Mbit/s line.

Amir

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 12:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

After you switch protection for that VM, the nodes DPM agents will magically appear on the secondary DPM server and you can fulfill the recovery to any of the Hyper-V nodes you want.  Once the recovery is completed, switch protection back to the primary DPM server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Jaan Meijer Monday, October 1, 2012 11:04 AM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 4:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Since there is no hyper-V host under primary protection in the secondary DPM server, you cannot restore the VM as a guest unless you switch protection first.  Once you switch protection, the hyper-V host agent will be owned by the secondary DPM server and you can then restore a VM to the host.   Another alternative is to install hyper-V role on the DPM server(s) and you should be able to restore a guest to the DPM Server and make it available to the users.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, September 2, 2012 3:28 PM
  • Hi Mike and thank you for your answer. The Hyper-V role is already installed on both servers, but I don't understand how I should use this in order to recover a VM from the secondary DPM server?
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:11 PM
  • Hi,

The right answer of course is to (Temporarily) switch protection and let the secondary do the restore locally.  Otherwise, I'm simply offering you a way to restore a guest (as a VM versus flat files) at the Secondary DPM server site without interfering with primary protection.  If the guest is truly down and you need to get it back up ASAP, then let the secondary DPM server itself can act as the host so users can access it.  That will provide temporary relief to the users until which time you can recover back to the real host.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:39 PM
  • OK, but as I still don't see any other available machines for recovery, other than the secondary DPM server itself, I would be happy if you could explain how this would be performed more practically.

Thank you in advance.

Amir

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:17 AM
  • Hi,

After you switch protection for that VM, the nodes DPM agents will magically appear on the secondary DPM server and you can fulfill the recovery to any of the Hyper-V nodes you want.  Once the recovery is completed, switch protection back to the primary DPM server.

• Marked as answer by Jaan Meijer Monday, October 1, 2012 11:04 AM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 4:28 PM
  • OK, sound great with a fast and simple solution, so thanks a lot for all help Mike!

Amir

Monday, October 1, 2012 11:04 AM