Login with lid closed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there!

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T440s. I primarily use it in two modes: As a mobile laptop and on a docking station with an external display. When I use it as a laptop, I log in with a swipe on the fingerprint reader. When I put it on the docking station and start it, it asks me to log in the same way (swipe my finger on the fingerprint reader). This does not make sense, as the laptop lid is closed, and I am unable to reach that fingerprint reader without opening the lid (which I do not want to).

Is there a way I can make Windows ask for my password instead of my finger when the lid is closed, and I use an external display?

Saturday, February 1, 2014 6:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You have multiple credential providers, in fact, Windows 8 is informed by the v2 credential provider which user they are associated with,  v2 credential providers do not need to specify a default credential; Windows automatically selects the last-used v2 credential provider for the selected user.

When Windows selects a user tile, it attempts to personalize the sign-in experience by also selecting the v2 credential provider that performed the user’s most recent sign-in. The following sequence of actions walks you through an example:

1.             User Lisa is able to sign in with either a password or a PIN
    2.             She signs in initially with her password
    3.             She locks her PC
    4.             When she unlocks the PC, she sees her user tile in the Selected State screen with the password provider selected
    5.             She decides to sign in with her PIN and chooses the PIN icon under the sign-in options link
    6.             She enters her PIN and signs in
    7.             Later, she turns off her PC
    8.             When she next turns her PC on, she is presented with her user tile in the Selected State screen and PIN is the selected provider

This is a be design feature or mechanism.

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Monday, February 17, 2014 1:26 PM
    Monday, February 3, 2014 1:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

it will likely depend upon the fingerprint software and the configuration of it (e.g. it may be setup to only accept fingerprints after print enrolment, or, it may accept either).

You could try pressing the Escape button on the keyboard, or, "switch account" ?

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Saturday, February 1, 2014 8:34 PM
    Saturday, February 1, 2014 8:28 PM
  • I use the fingerprint software that is integrated in Windows 8.1. Also, there is a program called Lenovo Fingerprint Manager Pro on the laptop, but that does not affect the login behavior. It is the same when I uninstall the program.

What I usually do when I'm asked for a fingerprint while the lid is closed, is click login options, then select Microsoft Account. That will allow me to type my Microsoft password. If the login GUI was a bit smarter (detect that the lid is closed, and thus the fingerprint reader is unavailable), it would show me the Microsoft password input instantly, without me having to grab the mouse and click two items. It's not a question of effectiveness, it's about usability.

• Edited by iver56 Sunday, February 2, 2014 12:45 PM
    Sunday, February 2, 2014 12:41 PM
  • Hi,

You have multiple credential providers, in fact, Windows 8 is informed by the v2 credential provider which user they are associated with,  v2 credential providers do not need to specify a default credential; Windows automatically selects the last-used v2 credential provider for the selected user.

When Windows selects a user tile, it attempts to personalize the sign-in experience by also selecting the v2 credential provider that performed the user’s most recent sign-in. The following sequence of actions walks you through an example:

1.             User Lisa is able to sign in with either a password or a PIN
    2.             She signs in initially with her password
    3.             She locks her PC
    4.             When she unlocks the PC, she sees her user tile in the Selected State screen with the password provider selected
    5.             She decides to sign in with her PIN and chooses the PIN icon under the sign-in options link
    6.             She enters her PIN and signs in
    7.             Later, she turns off her PC
    8.             When she next turns her PC on, she is presented with her user tile in the Selected State screen and PIN is the selected provider

This is a be design feature or mechanism.

Alex Zhao

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Monday, February 17, 2014 1:26 PM
    Monday, February 3, 2014 1:19 PM
  • I understand that this is by design, but I think that this behavior is suboptimal in my scenario.

1. User Paul is able to sign in with either a password or a fingerprint
    2. He signs in initially with his fingerprint
    3. He locks and closes his laptop
    4. He puts the laptop on a docking station, while the lid is still closed
    5. He turns on the laptop using the power button on the docking station
    6. A connected external display is now the main display
    7. When Paul attempts to unlock the laptop, he is asked for a fingerprint

Problem: The laptop lid is closed, and the fingerprint sensor is physically unavailable. At this point, Paul has two options:

1. Open the laptop (and this causes a "main display" switch to the laptop display), swipe the finger over the fingerprint sensor, and close the lid (the external display is now reactivated, which takes some time)
    2. Click "Login options", select "Password" (and this makes the touch keyboard appear on the external non-touch screen, which doesn't make sense), type the password

Obviously, the second option is the quickest, but it involves some unnecessary mouse/keyboard/touch actions

Possible fix/improvement: Windows understands that the laptop lid is closed, and that this makes the integrated fingerprint sensor unavailable on the current laptop model. Therefore, Windows automatically asks for the second last used login method, namely the password.

• Edited by iver56 Monday, February 17, 2014 1:33 PM
    Monday, February 3, 2014 1:50 PM
  • Hi,

I get your point, and would record and submit it. Trust me, we are trying to bring the best experience for you.

Thanks for your feedback.

Alex Zhao

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:55 AM
  • Hi,

I get your point, and would record and submit it. Trust me, we are trying to bring the best experience for you.

Thanks for your feedback.

Alex Zhao

Hi Alex, here's a long bump - I have this experience still in Windows 10.

When the lid is closed I'm still prompted for my fingerprint. 

Seems a bit pointless and very simple to fix.

Did it ever get resolved in Windows 8?  not that anyone still uses Windows 8.

Thursday, June 14, 2018 9:04 PM
  • Haha, even in Win10 this is still not fixed. Poor Microsoft.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 7:14 AM
  • Hey - I'll give a +1 on this thread. It's pretty stupid that such a small thing couldn't be implemented or at least available as an optional setting. I wouldn't even be mad *if* I could switch to the PIN sign-in instantly, but it takes like 3 clicks and several seconds for the animation......... cmon
    Saturday, March 21, 2020 6:53 AM
  • To summarize,

Microsoft is not going to fix this, except internally some buddy decides to change the "design". They were quite diligent in changing the "design" of patch and update management from Win 8.1 to 10, but not so in such unimportant things.

This forum's main purpose is to let off steam, people, not gather useful improvement tips. Same goes to uservoice – the selection is arbitrary.

Saturday, March 21, 2020 11:44 AM