Parallel Activities stuck in Pending. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a parallel activity that has 3 manual activities.  I was able to complete one of the Manual activities but the other two can not be completed are in a pending state.  I looked in the history tab of both activities and there is no workflow operation to change them from pending to In progress.  There is just an entry about setting the status to Pending.  I checked the workflow status and there are no error logs.  Any Ideas on what caused this?  Will anything break if I manually change the status with smlets?
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 6:10 PM

Answers

• I was not understanding the way activities worked.  If a parallel activity is in progress,  Other activities should not be added to it because they will be stuck in a pending state.  Also for sequential activities you can not add activities before in progress activities (this does make sense).  The Service Manager console should alert you that you are performing an invalid operation though which unfortunately it does not.
    • Marked as answer by Misha Rudiy Tuesday, August 7, 2012 4:36 PM
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 4:36 PM

All replies

• After some poking around it seems that if you create manual activities and then drag them into a parallel activity from the service request Activities Tab,  The workflow that changes it from Pending to in progress does not start.  The the way to insure that everything works as designed is to create the manual activities from the Activities tab of the Parallel activity.  I am guessing this is the same for sequential activities.  I am not sure if this is working as designed or if this is a glitch.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 10:25 PM
  • I was not understanding the way activities worked.  If a parallel activity is in progress,  Other activities should not be added to it because they will be stuck in a pending state.  Also for sequential activities you can not add activities before in progress activities (this does make sense).  The Service Manager console should alert you that you are performing an invalid operation though which unfortunately it does not.
    • Marked as answer by Misha Rudiy Tuesday, August 7, 2012 4:36 PM
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 4:36 PM