Simple (I hope) question on monitoring DHCP with SCOM 2007 R2 - Excluding scopes from monitoring. RRS feed

• Question

• I have the DHCP Management Pack version 6.0.6709.0.

We have some scopes in our server that are full by design. How can I exclude the scopes from generating alerts? The monitor "DHCP scope for IPv4 addresses has reached its capacity" keeps generating critical alerts but it seems I can only override it at the DHCP server level which would affect all the other scopes in the server for which we DO need the monitoring in place.

Has anyone accomplished this?

Friday, December 28, 2012 5:24 PM

Answers

• Hi

To fix this yourself - you'd need to design the appropriate discoveries and then look to implement monitoring that exposes the scopes as overrides. Sadly, unless the author of the MP exposes a setting as an override there is nothing anyone can do to correct this.

From an enhancement request point of view, you'll need to go to https://connect.microsoft.com and submit the request there as enhancement requests won't get picked up from forum postings.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer but sadly there isn't much we can do to assist unless someone happens to have custom monitoring available that they are willing to share.

Regards

Graham

Regards Graham New System Center 2012 Blog! - http://www.systemcentersolutions.co.uk
    View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/

• Proposed as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, January 8, 2013 2:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, January 8, 2013 10:01 AM
    Wednesday, January 2, 2013 7:06 PM
  • Yeah, a lot of us around the SCOM scene have been complaining about a number of MP's and their possibilities and how they are set up. DHCP is one of them. It is good that you speak up and we can use this as ammo to get more energy into the pack-making and Conect entries with this as Graham suggests also helps. But if MS is not doing it somebody else must do it. Either create for yourself or create and share. I dont recall anybody having done that yet for this pack though.

It would involve perhaps using pieces of the DHCP pack and targetting a scope discovery at the dhcp server. Not sure where you can find the scope names - registry or something like that perhaps. But if you have them you can pick up their names and other properties and store them. Next use the same principle as the current pack to check for full scope and alert and so on. Next create a group of DHCP scopes with a certain name or whatever way you know to group the full scopes together. and override for that group the monitor to not complain. Still a bit of work there.

I have been contemplating a DHCP addendum pack in the past, but didnt really get to it and didnt have customers who used it extensively enough for it to make sense at the time.

Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My Blog about SCOM) - MVP 2012 and Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 + 2012 Recipient

Thursday, January 3, 2013 6:47 PM

All replies

• Hi, you are right this monitor works at server level not a scope level. You have to create your own monitor in this situation.
    • Proposed as answer by Graham Davies Friday, December 28, 2012 9:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, January 1, 2013 5:56 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by JAHernandez Wednesday, January 2, 2013 4:20 PM
    Friday, December 28, 2012 8:48 PM
  • I'm unmarking the response supplied as an answer for a simple reason. What would I target the monitor against? The scopes are not being discovered as objects in SCOM as far as I can tell, that's the whole problem. So it's more than just 'creating' a monitor. Essentially, I would have to do the work Microsoft has neglected to perform, create a functional Management Pack for DHCP that treats scopes as objects. The skill needed to accomplish this is beyond the majority of SCOM admins out there, myself included.

The DHCP Management pack has not been updated since July 2010. Cmon Microsoft, where's the commitment to your own enterprise monitoring solution?

Individual SQL databases are discovered in SCOM as objects by the SQL MP. Exchange databases are discovered in SCOM as objects by the Exchange MP. DNZ zones are discovered in SCOM as objects by the DNS MP. Logically, one would expect DHCP scopes should be treated the same way by an official Microsoft DHCP MP, except they aren't. As a paying customer, I expect more than the basic functionality this MP provides.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 4:20 PM
  • Hi

To fix this yourself - you'd need to design the appropriate discoveries and then look to implement monitoring that exposes the scopes as overrides. Sadly, unless the author of the MP exposes a setting as an override there is nothing anyone can do to correct this.

From an enhancement request point of view, you'll need to go to https://connect.microsoft.com and submit the request there as enhancement requests won't get picked up from forum postings.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer but sadly there isn't much we can do to assist unless someone happens to have custom monitoring available that they are willing to share.

Regards

Graham

Regards Graham New System Center 2012 Blog! - http://www.systemcentersolutions.co.uk
    View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 7:06 PM
  • Yeah, a lot of us around the SCOM scene have been complaining about a number of MP's and their possibilities and how they are set up. DHCP is one of them. It is good that you speak up and we can use this as ammo to get more energy into the pack-making and Conect entries with this as Graham suggests also helps. But if MS is not doing it somebody else must do it. Either create for yourself or create and share. I dont recall anybody having done that yet for this pack though.

It would involve perhaps using pieces of the DHCP pack and targetting a scope discovery at the dhcp server. Not sure where you can find the scope names - registry or something like that perhaps. But if you have them you can pick up their names and other properties and store them. Next use the same principle as the current pack to check for full scope and alert and so on. Next create a group of DHCP scopes with a certain name or whatever way you know to group the full scopes together. and override for that group the monitor to not complain. Still a bit of work there.

I have been contemplating a DHCP addendum pack in the past, but didnt really get to it and didnt have customers who used it extensively enough for it to make sense at the time.

Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My Blog about SCOM) - MVP 2012 and Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 + 2012 Recipient

Thursday, January 3, 2013 6:47 PM