How to setup Wsus in workgroup (non AD) environment with downstream servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there, iam actually looking for recommandations to deploy WSUS using registry in non-AD environment (workgroup) for servers (2003<-> 2012R2) for 20 sites in industrial context. I think i will have arround 300 servers to manage with WSUS.

I would like to know your recommandations to put in place downstream servers (replicas) without Active-Directory (AD) i think that i will put in the registry of computers (industrials applications servers) for each site a different value on the reg value "WUServer"="serverURL";
    "WUStatusServer"="serverURL"; i would like to know today what is the best practice to set up WSUS servers on my remote sites.

I would like theses WSUS servers (replicas) take their updates on master server on central and remote computers take their update on each remote site WSUS server. What is the best practice to set up replicas servers ? my principal question is : does my computers will be able to register on replicas servers with the value of wsus server used in registry of downstream server ?

The solution pointing remote computers on each remote server is because i would like to set up on non AD environment.

For your information, i would like to sets up with 2 computers primary groups named "production" and "test" :

- Production \ site01 \ %site_abbreviation%_%application_name% (application_name is the function of member computer) ; on this group we deploy updates tested application by application in the test group

- Test \ g_%application_name ; where g_ for generic; on this group we test deployment of updates on each application generic computer (virtual server)

For others will see this topic, WSUS is able to use multiples layers groups.

Last question is : for 300 computers (Servers OS) is it ok to plan to set up with Windows Internal Database ? i think yes.
    Thursday, September 7, 2017 12:38 PM

Answers

• Hello,

>does my computers will be able to register on replicas servers with the value of wsus server used in registry of downstream server ?

Yes

You may refer to the below article regarding to more about WSUS management Style for branch office:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708500(v=ws.10).aspx

>for 300 computers (Servers OS) is it ok to plan to set up with Windows Internal Database ? i think yes.

Yes, it is OK. 

Regards,

Yan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, September 11, 2017 6:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by tchobh76 Wednesday, October 10, 2018 11:02 PM
    Friday, September 8, 2017 2:21 AM