Lync call routing by location RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a question around setup of Lync routing based by location.  Our lync system normalises numbers into e.164 format and calls that can be made as local calls will route out the appropriate gateway - no problems there.

I havent been able to get our international dialing working so that when there is more than one gateway Lync will choose the gateway / mediation server that is local to the user making the call.  Everything I have read about setting up locations in Lync seems specific to setting up the emergency calling, and not around getting Lync to use a local gateway for numbers where there isnt a local route.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good documentation on setting this up?

Cheers,

James

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 11:25 PM

Answers

• I think this is possible but you do need some more complex configuration and maintenance:

You may define for each location some specific PSTN Usages/Policy. All users of one site should have only Policy (therefore PSTN Usage) dedicated for this site.

The next step is to configure an international route for each location. All international routes should be created with the same pattern but have different PSTN gateway.

For each route, assign the corresponding PSTN Usage/Policy.

Calls should then be routed to the right PSTN Gateway.

Let say you have a site in New York and another in London. Each site has a local PSTN Gateway and you wan to have international calls made by New York users will be sent to the gateway located in New York. The international calls made by London's users should go to the PSTN Gateway located at London..

1. You have to create PSTN Usage called International_Usage_Newyork and the Voice Policy International_Voice_Plicy_Newyork.  Assign the PSTN Usage to the Voice Policy.

Assign the Voice Policy to all users located in New York.

Repeat similar operations for London with PSTN Usage called International_PSTN_Usage_London and International_Voice_Policy_London.

2. Create 2 routes for international calls with the same pattern. For example:  (^\+)

3. Assign the Newyork's PSTN Gateway to the first route

4. Assign the PSTN Usage International_PSTN_Usage_Newyork to this route

Doing so, only calls made by New York users (who have the Voice Policy International_Voice_Policy_Newyork, therefore have also the PSTN Usage International_PSTN_Usage_Newyork) can go through that gateway.

Repeat the same operations by creating the second route for London. This route should have the same pattern as the one created for New York (^\+) but the PSTN Gateway and the PSTN Usage should be the ones defined for London. All international calls made by London's users should go through that gateway.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:30 PM

All replies

• Hi James,

Do you create dial plan for International numbers?

Do you mean your local gateway can't route international calls?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:53 AM
  • Hi Sean,

We have Mediation Servers / SBAs in 4 branch sites, and I want Lync to route international calls based on IP Subnet.

Currently I have an international dialplan with all 4 gateways as possible routes, and as far as I can see Lync selects a gateway at random.  I am wanting to have Lync prioritise its gateway choice based on which branch the staff member is sitting in. 

Thanks,

James

Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:24 AM
  • Hi James,

To the best of my knowledge, this scenario is not possible. A call selects an outbound gateway based on the configured Voice Policy, Usages, and Routes. These objects are not dynamic based on user location. To achieve prioritized routing to a local gateway, a user must be configured with a Voice Policy that has a higher priority Usage/Route pointing to the preferred local gateway. An Administrator would have to modify a user's Voice Policy to reflect the desired preferred local gateway.

You are correct that Location Policy only applies to emergency calls which CAN route emergency calls based on Network Site/Subnet. 

Best Regards,

Jamie Schwinn

Thursday, July 28, 2011 1:43 PM
  • I think this is possible but you do need some more complex configuration and maintenance:

You may define for each location some specific PSTN Usages/Policy. All users of one site should have only Policy (therefore PSTN Usage) dedicated for this site.

The next step is to configure an international route for each location. All international routes should be created with the same pattern but have different PSTN gateway.

For each route, assign the corresponding PSTN Usage/Policy.

Calls should then be routed to the right PSTN Gateway.

Let say you have a site in New York and another in London. Each site has a local PSTN Gateway and you wan to have international calls made by New York users will be sent to the gateway located in New York. The international calls made by London's users should go to the PSTN Gateway located at London..

1. You have to create PSTN Usage called International_Usage_Newyork and the Voice Policy International_Voice_Plicy_Newyork.  Assign the PSTN Usage to the Voice Policy.

Assign the Voice Policy to all users located in New York.

Repeat similar operations for London with PSTN Usage called International_PSTN_Usage_London and International_Voice_Policy_London.

2. Create 2 routes for international calls with the same pattern. For example:  (^\+)

3. Assign the Newyork's PSTN Gateway to the first route

4. Assign the PSTN Usage International_PSTN_Usage_Newyork to this route

Doing so, only calls made by New York users (who have the Voice Policy International_Voice_Policy_Newyork, therefore have also the PSTN Usage International_PSTN_Usage_Newyork) can go through that gateway.

Repeat the same operations by creating the second route for London. This route should have the same pattern as the one created for New York (^\+) but the PSTN Gateway and the PSTN Usage should be the ones defined for London. All international calls made by London's users should go through that gateway.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:30 PM
  • MLync, you are absolutely correct. If a particular Voice Policy is configured with Usage/Route that routes international calls to a particular gateway that is local to a particular site, that's will work just fine for users in that site configured for that Voice Policy.

I assumed that James was trying to achieve a configuration where Lync would select a particular international route dynamically based on the user's location. For example, User A lives in New York and when in New York, routes calls out the New York gateway. When User A travels to London, Lync automatically re-routes international calls out the London gateway. This scenario is not possible unless an Administrator changes the Voice Policy to reflect the desired international gateway.

Best Regards,

Jamie Schwinn

Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:40 PM