none
DHCP forgot IP range RRS feed

• Question

• I checked our DHCP server today after complaints from users saying they can't connect to the network. When I looked at the scope, the Address Pool was empty. The IP range in the scope properties was set to 0.0.0.0 for start and end addresses. Even though the DHCP server was not handing out any new addresses I could see some old leases in the "Address Leases" section.

Fixing the issue was easy. I just added the IP range back into the scope. But I'm wondering why did this happen in the first place? How can I prevent from happening again?

Jacen

Thursday, June 23, 2016 2:37 AM

Answers

• Hi

You can check from event viewer menü for error logs,also you can check with these "DHCP Server Events Tool"

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/teamdhcp/2009/03/20/dhcp-server-events-tool/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

• Proposed as answer by Paulie D Friday, June 24, 2016 5:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by VOND Friday, June 24, 2016 5:19 PM
    Thursday, June 23, 2016 7:52 AM
  • Hi,

In addition,it could be caused by DHCP database corrupt,please backup your DHCP database(%SystemRoot%\system32\dhcp\dhcp.mdb),just in case.

Friday, June 24, 2016 1:22 AM

All replies

• Hi

You can check from event viewer menü for error logs,also you can check with these "DHCP Server Events Tool"

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/teamdhcp/2009/03/20/dhcp-server-events-tool/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Thursday, June 23, 2016 7:52 AM
  • Hi,

In addition,it could be caused by DHCP database corrupt,please backup your DHCP database(%SystemRoot%\system32\dhcp\dhcp.mdb),just in case.

Friday, June 24, 2016 1:22 AM
  • Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm almost positive the issue was the result of database corruption. I looked through the DHCP logs for any changes and there was nothing.

Jacen

Friday, June 24, 2016 5:18 PM