type of list suitable for parent-child data relationships RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a data structure that I need to implement in a Sharepoint list(s) (announcement, tasks, tracking, etc.). Basically, I need a list(s) with columns where each of the records in the list will be associated with at least one more record in the list and each record in this list will have child records. So it looks like the following:

Plan 1....

Goal 1...

Activity 1....

Activity 2....

Goal 2....

Activity 1....

Activity 2....

Plan 2....

Goal 1....

Activity 1....

Goal 2....

Does anyone know of a Sharepoint structure/list(s) that can capture this type of parent-child relational data structure?

Paul

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:42 PM

All replies

• Create below custom list

1. PLAN - Master Custom list

• Plan field 1
    • Plan field 2

2. GOAL

• Lookup column of PLAN custom list
    • Goal field 1
    • Goal field 2

3. Activity

• Lookup Column of GOAL custom list
    • Activity field 1
    • Activity field 2

As per me, below would be the idle structure for the above relational data.

Regards, Dharnendra Shah "strong belief is the only way to success"
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:32 PM
  • In the above model, are the Plan, Goal and Activity lists separate lists where the Goal contains a lookup column to the Plan and Activity contains a lookup column to the Goal?

Paul

Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:06 PM
  • Yes Indeed.
    Regards, Dharnendra Shah "strong belief is the only way to success"
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:08 PM
  • OK, is there a way to create a view of the 3 lists where you can see the highest level element (Plan) and its associated child data (Goal and Activity) together?

Paul

Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:17 PM
  • Hi Paul,

To create a view of the 3 lists and show data as expected, you can use SharePoint Designer to achieve it, you can try the following steps:

1.       New an ASPX page for the view.

2.        Insert ->SharePoint Controls ->Web Part Zone, DataView ->Insert Data View, insert the view for Plan list, do the same with other lists to insert the view for them.

3.       In the web part for Goal list, in Common Data View Task, choose Web Part Connections, set connections: get parameters from Plan, Plan: columnlookedup=newparameter, set Filter: lookupfield=newparameter.

4.       Do the same with the web part for Activity list, get parameters from Goal, and set Filter for the lookup field.

More information, Connect data in Web Part: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/connect-data-in-web-parts-HA101785157.aspx

Thanks,
    Qiao Wei

• Marked as answer by Qiao WeiModerator Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:57 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Paul-NYS Monday, October 3, 2011 12:32 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 5:26 AM
  • Hi Paul,

If your requirement states that you only have to display this data-structure, then you could go with creating a view that is group by Plan, Goal (same order should be maintained in the view settings) & sorted by Activity. See screenshot below:

Is your requirement any different?

Thanks Arut
    • Marked as answer by Qiao WeiModerator Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:58 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Paul-NYS Monday, October 3, 2011 12:32 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 7:02 AM
  • The requirement that I am aware of is to view/report on all 3 combined. The actual data entry for all 3 could be in separate lists.

I will try both of the above approaches to see which if I can get either to work and get back to you. Thanks.

Paul

Friday, September 23, 2011 12:50 PM
  • Hi Arut, Qiao

Three questions for you based on the above structure:

1. Is there a way to create an editable list that allows for data entry for both the parent list (Plan), its immediate child list (Goal), and the next level list (Activity)?

2. Arut, how did you create the above view?

3. Qiao, when I go into SP Designer in the Insert menu under Sharepoint Controls, I only have the Data View accessible, Web Zone Part is not accessible. 

Paul
    Monday, October 3, 2011 12:33 PM
  • Paul,

As mentioned in my reply, I've created a new view and then did the following:

(a) In the 'Group By' section, I selected by 'Plan' and then by 'Goal'.

(b) In the 'Sort' Section, I selected 'Activity'.

Note that the list may have 'Plan', 'Goal' and 'Activity' as look-up columns, if dictated by the business requirement. This approach is better to display parent-child structure to the users. However, if the user wants to edit any item, he/ she will have to click on the 'Title' field and edit the data for that list item alone. 

Thanks Arut
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 5:51 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Did you insert the Web Part Zone in the new ASP page, the SharePoint control Web Part Zone will be grayed when the position is not suitable for display a web part, the new page is for the three lists that each of them is in a web part zone, filter by parameter in the web part, you may try again to check whether it works.

Thanks,
    Qiao

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:49 AM