Sound failure in vista RRS feed

• Question

• After upgrading from xp to vista, I developed a sound problem. I had no sound output. I first checked my speakers, they are fine. Checked my front and rear sound port seperatly with a pair of headphones still no sound. Increase the volume level on the vol controler still no sound. It is not muted. I reinstalled vista (home basic) and my sound came back. after a month it developed the same problem again. Is there something I haven't done? Is there a way to solve this problem without reinstalling or restoring? Please I need some help. Thanks.

Name: VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller

Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
    PNP Device ID: PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3059&SUBSYS_16171849&REV_50\3&18D45AA6&0&8D
    System Model: K7VM3

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 10:20 PM

Answers

• Perhaps when you come out of Standby (S3 and maybe S1), intermittently, the PNPID of the AC'97 looses it's Subsystem ID

So the PNPID may become..

PNP Device ID: PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3059&SUBSYS_00000000

When that happens, the OS will detect a new PNPID and install the driver again, but a reboot is required before audio works.

In a way, you will have two audio solutions

PNP Device ID: PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3059&SUBSYS_16171849

You can probably avoid this by disabling S3 / S4. If the system has S1 support, see if there is an issue on S1. If not, then keep this as your default sleep state.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 6:26 PM
  • Note that disabling your sleep states...

S1 - Sleep

S3 - Sleep (saves event more energy)

S4 - Hibernate

will keep your system in S0 all the time using up power. I'm assuming you will shut down your system after every use.

You can go into your BIOS and be able to toggle between S1 or S3. If you're having issues with S3, use S1 and see if the issue still occurs

As for disabling Sleep or Hibernate, go to Control Panel - Classic View - Power Options - Under Balanced power profile

1. Under the option...put the system into sleep after x min, put Never.

2. select advanced settings, go to the sleep options, when I press the power button or when I press the sleep button, do nothing.

Friday, July 27, 2007 4:36 PM

All replies

• What is the name of the audio device?

What's the PNPID?

Thursday, July 26, 2007 4:48 AM
  •  

Name: VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller

Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
    PNP Device ID: PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3059&SUBSYS_16171849&REV_50\3&18D45AA6&0&8D
    System Model: K7VM3

Thursday, July 26, 2007 9:44 AM
  • Perhaps when you come out of Standby (S3 and maybe S1), intermittently, the PNPID of the AC'97 looses it's Subsystem ID

So the PNPID may become..

When that happens, the OS will detect a new PNPID and install the driver again, but a reboot is required before audio works.

In a way, you will have two audio solutions

PNP Device ID: PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3059&SUBSYS_16171849

You can probably avoid this by disabling S3 / S4. If the system has S1 support, see if there is an issue on S1. If not, then keep this as your default sleep state.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 6:26 PM
  • What is S3 / S4 and where do i go to disable it?

Friday, July 27, 2007 2:46 AM
  • Note that disabling your sleep states...

S1 - Sleep

S3 - Sleep (saves event more energy)

S4 - Hibernate

will keep your system in S0 all the time using up power. I'm assuming you will shut down your system after every use.

You can go into your BIOS and be able to toggle between S1 or S3. If you're having issues with S3, use S1 and see if the issue still occurs

As for disabling Sleep or Hibernate, go to Control Panel - Classic View - Power Options - Under Balanced power profile

1. Under the option...put the system into sleep after x min, put Never.

2. select advanced settings, go to the sleep options, when I press the power button or when I press the sleep button, do nothing.

Friday, July 27, 2007 4:36 PM
  • You have earned your respect from yet another person. Thank you. I remember changing the power settings prior to the sound failure so i went to set the defaults in control pannel, restarted and there is my sound. thank you very much.

Friday, July 27, 2007 7:33 PM
  • I have the same problem

Monday, August 27, 2007 12:32 AM
  • The sound on my system was running fine untill by mistake i clicked the hibernate button. my sound dissapeared again. when i reboot the system i could only listen to one second of music then no sound output untill the next reboot. it will attempt to play audio but cuts off. although i did not change the power settings, i restored defaults. i have tried the previous working responce but still the same.

Friday, August 31, 2007 8:45 AM
  •  

Try unplugging the power cord, wait 15 seconds and then plug it back in again.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 4:16 PM
  •  

i seem to have some sound issues also... it was workin perfectly fine, but it just all of a sudden stopped... device manager seems to think its all working properly and my computer is detecting sound, but no sound is comin from the speakers.. i've only just bought my laptop (about 4 days ago) so it can't be broken already.. any ideas on how to get this sorted?

Thanks xx

Thursday, October 4, 2007 10:59 PM
  • Try uninstalling your driver and reboot in device manager.

Friday, October 5, 2007 5:09 AM
  •  

well my speakers work but when i plug headphones in i cannot hear anything. I never had this problem before but now i don't know what's going on. I bought this headset for video calling and the microphone works but the headphone part doesn't. what can i do to fix this?
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 8:16 PM