Sequencing Office 2010 Plug-Ins RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to sequence a number of application plug-ins for Office 2010, I run the sequencer but when I get to the Configure Applications stage of the wizard it doesn't automatically discover any of the plug-ins and I can't browse for them? The wizard specifies "For plug-ins or extensions, you must add the primary application". Should I run the installers as part of the Office 2010 sequence? My only issue is that I receive regular updates for the plug-ins so don't really want to have to re-sequence Office 2010 each time?

Thanks

Stephen.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 10:34 AM

Answers

• If you are virtualising both Word (via the Office package) and the add-in, then you wouldn't create a shortcut to Word as this would create two Word shortcuts. Instead create a shortcut to something else (for example, perhaps Notepad might work - have Notepad open with a text file to explain what the shortcut is).

To get the add-in into the Office package, suite the two seperate packages together using DSC - the Office package is the primary while the add-in package/s is the secondary. Starting Word will then load the add-in package.

Depending on how you are deploying App-V applications, you could publish the add-ins package to users and use something like Group Policy Preferences to delete the generated .LNK file, so that users don't see an entry point into a package they can't really interact with.

See more on DSC here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc843662.aspx

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:53 PM

All replies

• One of the issues with App-V at the moment, is that you need to create a shortcut for the Sequencer to create an OSD file. You have a couple of options:

• Sequence all add-ins in the same package, create a single OSD file and then use DSC to add the add-ins package as a secondary package to Office.
    • Sequence one add-in per package, this will require a shortcut per add-in. Then use DSC to add the each of the add-ins packages as  secondary packages to Office.

If you are virtualising Office and using DSC, then the shortcuts for the add-ins packages could point to whatever you like.

Also see these threads:

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 10:47 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Aaron, I'm not sure what you mean by create a shorcut for the sequencer?

Stephen.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:43 AM
  • In the Configure Applications phase in the Sequencer, you can create shortcuts to applictions. These map directly to the OSD files that the Sequencer generates when you save the package.
    This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 12:13 PM
  • So if I had a plug in for word do I add a shortcut to MS Word? Do I also need to launch it for the Block A feature set?

Thanks.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:37 PM
  • If you are virtualising both Word (via the Office package) and the add-in, then you wouldn't create a shortcut to Word as this would create two Word shortcuts. Instead create a shortcut to something else (for example, perhaps Notepad might work - have Notepad open with a text file to explain what the shortcut is).

To get the add-in into the Office package, suite the two seperate packages together using DSC - the Office package is the primary while the add-in package/s is the secondary. Starting Word will then load the add-in package.

Depending on how you are deploying App-V applications, you could publish the add-ins package to users and use something like Group Policy Preferences to delete the generated .LNK file, so that users don't see an entry point into a package they can't really interact with.

See more on DSC here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc843662.aspx

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:53 PM
  • There would be different ways to approach this. Typically I would browse to Word or Excel or whatever the plug-in is for and then rename the shortcut to something more descriptive like Generic Add-in or whatever. As Aaron alluded to though when you do this you unfortunately have a shortcut for every plug-in you create so things can get messy. What if a user just wants all his plug-ins to appear whenever he opens the application?

If you want that behaviour you would have to either have 1 virtual package which has all your plug-ins installed and have that browsed to you local application. That way you could have a shortcut Excel with Add-ins or whatever. Or you could use DSC, virtualize your local application be it Excel or whatever and then DSC each of your desired add-ins with it.

Monday, January 31, 2011 9:49 AM
  • Thanks for your assistance guys. Some very useful comments that I'll be able to reference back too. On this particular occasion no matter what I tried the plugin wouldn't virtualise.

Thanks

Stephen.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:38 PM
  • I have just a couple of quick questions regarding the DSC approach to this problem.

Firstly, every time you create a package with an addin in it, you would need to add this as a dependency of the Office Shortcuts package and then re-advertise the Office shortcuts package?

Also what do you do if some of your add-ins are licensed to certain people or machines?

Paul

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 10:28 PM
  • I have just a couple of quick questions regarding the DSC approach to this problem.

Firstly, every time you create a package with an addin in it, you would need to add this as a dependency of the Office Shortcuts package and then re-advertise the Office shortcuts package?

Also what do you do if some of your add-ins are licensed to certain people or machines?

Paul

The way I do it is I sequence every addin individually, then I suite EVERY office addin with office 2010, non mandatory, this way if you are in the AD group for the addin, you get it, if not, you don't, no harm no foul.

Also you can set an applications shortcut to not exist anywhere and bypass the entire issue of having a Notepad shortcut for nothing. Just go in and uncheck everything and click Advanced and make sure no location is listed there (you can also do this via the App-V server if you are using it and not SCCM, in SCCM you HAVE to make the change at the package level).

I also wrote a powershell script to in-place modify the OSD cache to update the DSC just in case someone needs something RIGHT NOW but doesn't want to refresh their server (...sadly, yes, that does happen.) I think you can find it here or on appvirt.

Oh and to your question about what if its licensed to just a user or two, if they aren't in the AD group they wont be able to run the add-in. And so far even if another person logs onto the machine with LESS rights to addins I've not had a problem.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 2:54 PM