microsoft wpd file system volume driver RRS feed

• Question

• whenever i switch on my pc and logon i am always asked if i want to install microsoft wpd file system volume driver. i click ok and verify that i do have admin privelage and it installs correctly, but when i reboot or restart the pc it always askes me again. what is the problem
    Monday, July 6, 2009 8:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Reinstall the Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver manually.

1)     Click Start, right-click on Computer and select Properties.

2)     Go to Device Manager.

3)     Navigate to “Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver”, right-click on it and choose “Uninstall”.

4)     After the un-installation, click “Action – Scan for hardware changes”.

5)     Install the device again.

6)     Reboot the computer and see how it works.

2.    Temporarily unplug the unnecessary devices (such as second hard drive, Optical Disk Drive, portable storage device or some particular specifications) to test the issue.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 9:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Reinstall the Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver manually.

1)     Click Start, right-click on Computer and select Properties.

2)     Go to Device Manager.

3)     Navigate to “Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver”, right-click on it and choose “Uninstall”.

4)     After the un-installation, click “Action – Scan for hardware changes”.

5)     Install the device again.

6)     Reboot the computer and see how it works.

2.    Temporarily unplug the unnecessary devices (such as second hard drive, Optical Disk Drive, portable storage device or some particular specifications) to test the issue.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 9:51 AM
  • thank you for your detailed reply. that seems to be working for now
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 8:24 PM
  • I have the same problem on both a Vista 32-bit Home Premium and a 64-bit Ultimate system. It started right after I installed SP2 on them. Will try your solution, thanks.
    • Proposed as answer by Heng Lin Monday, February 14, 2011 2:12 AM
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:38 AM
  • Hi there,

I have the same problem on different computers.
    I bought some Dell Computers ( Optiplex 760 and Latitude E5500 ) and if I plug any removable FileSystem device, under "Portable Devices" I get "Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver" with the error : "This Device Cannot start. (Code 10) "

I tried this with a Kingston Pen drive, on 760 and E5500.
    I tried plugging a SD Card on E5500 and the same error.
    I tried plugging a windows mobile device, and the same error.
    I´m able to access the volumes from the removable devices, exept for the windows mobile device.

I have another laptop (Latitude D520) that I installed Windows 7 and it works perfectly.
    I tried copying the DLL´s from W7 to Vista, but they seems to be uncompatible.
    I tried creating a system variable called "devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices" with value set to "1". that allowed me on vista to see the disconected devices and uninstall them. I removed everything that I found greyd out. but the error is the same.

Even installing the latest version of WMDC that updates some drives, It doean´t work .

I´m without ideas. does someone has any ?

thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:26 PM