Does App-V allow file modifications during use? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have sequenced one application. Application includes Settings.ini file inside the package.

During normal use of the application, some settings must be saved to Settings.ini file but all changes can be discarded when application is shutted down.

Does App-V allow files inside the package to be modified when they're running?

Friday, March 8, 2013 11:10 AM

Answers

• App-V performs a copy on write, so each user will end up with their own copy of the INI file in their virtualised profile for that app (.PKG file).

Execution of the application has no relation to how App-V packages are distributed.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

• Marked as answer by weedee Monday, March 11, 2013 8:09 AM
    Friday, March 8, 2013 5:26 PM

All replies

• If the user has the rights to modify the files, then yes. It might be dependent on where the file is stored.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

• Proposed as answer by znack Friday, March 8, 2013 11:29 AM
    Friday, March 8, 2013 11:28 AM
  • The file is stored to %USERPROFILE% path inside the App-V package. And this same App-V package is published for hundreds of users in Citrix XenApp server.

Friday, March 8, 2013 11:39 AM
  • Then yes, that should work.

Friday, March 8, 2013 11:46 AM
  • Hi Aaron,

Modifications made to .ini (located in %USERPROFILE% path inside App-V package) file by user will be available even if application is shutted down and started again?

Do you have any insight what happens if application is started by two users and first user who starts the app modifies that .ini file. Are those edits available for the second user at the time he launches the app?

Thanks for your help.

Edit: My main concern is, that if 100 users open this app on same time, that .ini file is modified in uncontrollable manner. We have SCCM 2007 R3 integrated with App-V 4.6 SP1. App-V packages are streamed from multiple Distribution Points for App-V Clients installed on our XenApp servers.
    I want that no modifications to settings.ini file made by single user are saved to App-V package, which is available to all users.

• Edited by weedee Friday, March 8, 2013 12:29 PM
    Friday, March 8, 2013 11:57 AM
  • App-V performs a copy on write, so each user will end up with their own copy of the INI file in their virtualised profile for that app (.PKG file).

Execution of the application has no relation to how App-V packages are distributed.

• Marked as answer by weedee Monday, March 11, 2013 8:09 AM
    Friday, March 8, 2013 5:26 PM
  • Thank you Aaron for clarification
    Monday, March 11, 2013 8:10 AM