none
Change the default unattend.xml in MDT RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys,

I noticed that windows update is hit or miss killing Office 2016 ProPlus as I try to install it using MDT.  Windows Update runs in the background on first boot and causes a conflict when Office tries to install.  Figure my answer is to disable windows update during OS deployment and just have our GPO's turn it back on when added to the domain.

My plan is to use MS Image Manager to change the ProtectYourPC attribute in the unattend.xml.

Unfortunately every task sequence has its own unattend.xml   I don't want to manually modify it every time I create a new task sequence.  Is there a base unattend.xml that MDT uses as a template to spawn the others that I can mod so that all new task sequences will automatically have the setting?

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 2:31 PM

All replies

• I have a custom unattend file which needs to be in your deploymentshare directory under

Deploymentshare$-->Control-->TASK Sequence ID.

Each task sequence has its own unattend.xml. You will need to replace yours with the one already present...

Hopefully this helps.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 2:48 PM
  • Thanks for the idea. I was hoping for a more "set it and forget it" approach. Every manual step is one that will be missed in the future :)
    Wednesday, September 7, 2016 12:59 PM
  • \Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Templates

You will find the Unattend templates and you can modify that so that when you create new Task Sequences they will be created with those changes.

Document what you did because when you setup MDT on a new server or upgrade MDT, those templates will be back to the originals.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 3:55 PM