Office sharepoint server search service constantly getting stuck. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hey all, 

So the problem is that the osearch service keeps getting stuck on starting or stopping. When I set its logon as to local system, it works fine and never gets stuck. However when I change its logon to a service account, and then try to reset the service account through Central Admin. it gets stuck stopping, and it gets stuck starting if I reboot. I have tested this service accounts connectivity to the SQL server and that is not the issue, also I have another service (windows sharepoint search service) using the exact same service account and it has no issues. 

I have tried clearing the config. cache following the steps included here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/josrod/archive/2007/12/12/clear-the-sharepoint-configuration-cache-for-timer-job-and-psconfig-errors.aspx

But to no avail. once the cache is deleted and re-populates, I restart the timer service and the osearch service once again gets stuck on starting. 

Any suggestions/help on what else I should look into would be appreciated.

-Farhan

Edit: some further updates. Once changing the log on as back to local system account, and then changing the service account for osearch in CA, the service now shows as started. This is another situation I came accross as well where everything seems to be started and operational, yet looking in the timer job statuses the "Application Server Administration Service Timer Job" gets stuck on intialized at 0% progress.

The only solution I have found for this so far includes the clearing of the config cache, which I have performed already so it cannot be anything to do with that. IT may be possible that this service is the root cause of osearch getting stuck. 

• Edited by FarhanNS Thursday, January 5, 2012 9:33 PM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 8:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

By the moment it got stucked is there any entry you can find in the uls logs and event viewer that will provide more details.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Friday, January 6, 2012 4:17 AM