none
Active Directory Web Services error (Event ID: 1202) RRS feed

• Question

• I keep on getting error messages for Active Directory Web Services after the service starts. I have two UAG servers using Windows NLB.

Log Name:      Active Directory Web Services
    Source:        ADWS
    Event ID:      1004
    Task Category: ADWS Startup Events
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      UAG-APP02.domain.com
    Description: Active Directory Web Services has successfully started and is now accepting requests.

Log Name:      Active Directory Web Services
    Source:        ADWS
    Date:          3/20/2011 11:28:00 PM
    Event ID:      1202
    Task Category: ADWS Instance Events
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      UAG-APP02.domain.com
    Description: This computer is now hosting the specified directory instance, but Active Directory Web Services could not service it. Active Directory Web Services will retry this operation periodically. 

While this service is running on the array manager server, it works OK. I do get certificate error (on the array manager)

Active Directory Web Services could not find a server certificate with the specified certificate name. A certificate is required to use SSL/TLS connections. To use SSL/TLS connections, verify that a valid server authentication certificate from a trusted Certificate Authority (CA) is installed on the machine.

One way i see this affecting UAG (still not confirmed if two issues are related) is that users cannot authenticate using their email address (configuration from this blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/edgeaccessblog/archive/2010/08/23/authenticating-to-uag-with-an-email-address-instead-of-user-id.aspx) it did work for a while...

• Moved by Nick Gu - MSFT Friday, March 25, 2011 9:56 AM (From:Forefront TMG and ISA Server)
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 12:51 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I'm marking this question as answered, even though it is not, as it seems no one has been able to answer it. If this issue is still unresolved, you might consider re-poting the question on the forum, or opening a support case with Microsoft CSS.

Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS UAG/IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Thursday, May 5, 2011 4:43 PM
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 4:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm marking this question as answered, even though it is not, as it seems no one has been able to answer it. If this issue is still unresolved, you might consider re-poting the question on the forum, or opening a support case with Microsoft CSS.

Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS UAG/IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Thursday, May 5, 2011 4:43 PM
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 4:42 PM
  • Hi

It hasn't been answered. I will open a support case with MS.

Thanks

Friday, May 6, 2011 12:17 AM
  • Damirsmc,

Did you ever get an answer to this problem?

I had it crop up out of the blue the other night and get this error message every 60 seconds.  Not sure what happened to cause it all of a sudden show up - can't find any event logged anywhere that would start this happening.

Thanks,

John

Friday, July 29, 2011 9:21 PM
  • no, i will probably open a case with MS support this week. i am experiencing some other issues with UAG servers
    • Proposed as answer by Rivercity John Wednesday, August 3, 2011 9:11 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Rivercity John Wednesday, August 3, 2011 9:11 PM
    Monday, August 1, 2011 12:18 AM
  • Damirsmc,

Working with Microsoft support, the 'solution' was to stop/disable (or manual) the ADWS service on the NON-array manager nodes.  The job of ISASTGCTRL(AD LDS), the ADWS service, is to store the array configuration.  So I stopped the service and disabled it so that it won't start on a reboot. 

Looking at my Event View/Custom Views/Administrative Events is where I discovered the log entries.  And it was just by 'accident' that I looked in the log - I was just perusing the various options when I stumbled upon the log.  I don't know where this is documented.

One caveat:  If you want to move away from an array configuration, then the service needs to be running on each individual node so that the configuration can be stored.

John

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 9:17 PM
  • It is really unbelievable that so many years passed, so many patches applied and this issue still remains with windows!!!

Every time I booted I had this message in my logs. What solved it for me was to change the ADWS service from auto start to auto start with delay.

It really means that ADWS depends on other services to start and windows seem to be incapable of waiting for those dependable services.

Sunday, July 28, 2019 1:34 AM