Upgrading SharePoint 2007 to SP3 correct procedure RRS feed

Answers

• Hi,

No yo9u should not keep the farm open for use unless you can fail the users over to the DR system. Then run the installation to install the binaries, then psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait on each server in the farm. then you can allow the users asses to the patched system.

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn , My Blog, @iasanders, BI in SP2013, SP2013 Content Packs.

• Marked as answer by lottosaimo Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:36 AM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 2:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

No yo9u should not keep the farm open for use unless you can fail the users over to the DR system. Then run the installation to install the binaries, then psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait on each server in the farm. then you can allow the users asses to the patched system.

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn , My Blog, @iasanders, BI in SP2013, SP2013 Content Packs.

• Marked as answer by lottosaimo Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:36 AM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 2:59 PM
  • Thanx Ivan,

That the approach we have choose. I have the upgrade scheduled for tonight.

I'll let you know how it end.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 7:03 AM
  • Hi,

no worries I will be up for another hour or two I working on a few more 1 click deployment demos, this time the branding for Contoso pharmaceutical, schools, auto sales, and the default landing page. There are 100s of examples using PowerPivot PowerView Visio services etc.. http://sharepointdemobuilds.codeplex.com. They came from all of the speaking engagements I haven been doing I thought everyone could use them so I am giving them to the community.

If you need me I am here to help so let me know how it goes...

-Ivan

Thursday, April 18, 2013 7:41 AM
  • Hi Ivan,

Just letting you know that the upgrade to SP3 went ok (even did CU December 2012)

After installin the binaries on all servers we tried to use the "Product and Technologies Configuration Wizard". We went till the "OK" dialog box than continued only with one of application server.

Somehow the proccess locked it self at step "8 of 9" so... we went for 

psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force

After finishing with first server, continued with all others by clicking OK on wizard dialog boz.

Cumulative Updates went through smoothly.

Regards

--

Saimo

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:41 AM
  • Hi Sanders,

we are planning for SP3 upgrade on our SharePoint 2007 Farm next week. To reduce outage time we are planning to run SharePoint wizard on all three SharePoint servers in  parallel.

was there any known risk in going with SharePoint wizard? Is it possible to run PSconfig on all three servers at a time in parallel. which method you suggest PSconfig or Sharepoint wizard?

Thursday, February 27, 2014 6:40 PM
  • Hi,

You can install the binaries in parallel. Please do not run the Configuration Wizard (PSconfigui) on All servers at the same time. The risk is having a BLOCK/LOCK that will corrupt the Configuration DB.

Run psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait on each server one at a time.

-Ivan

clip_image001 clip_image002 clip_image003 clip_image004 clip_image006 clip_image008

-Ivan

Thursday, February 27, 2014 6:53 PM