SBS 2003 New Domain Name / New Email Addresses RRS feed

• Question

• Client Using SBS 2003 with SP2. Users have Outlook 2003 and some run XP Pro (about 10) and a few run Win 7 Pro (about 4). They are changing their website URL to from abc.com to 123.com. In addition they want to change their email addresses to just their <first name>@123.com instead of the old <firstname, initial of last name>@abc.com. AND they need to continue to receive any email sent to them at the abc.com address until they are positive that they have all their customers switched over to the new URL. They will not need to send out email from the old abc.com address and will reply to emails sent to that address from the 123.com address.

Will the mailboxes of the users be the same or will they have to be merged?

Can someone point me to a white paper or guide on what steps to follow and how to get this done?

Many thanks.

Saturday, January 7, 2012 8:54 PM

Answers

• everything will continue to operate on the original store, no new nor additional store is created.

An email address is a 'property' of a mailbox. You are simply adding such address to the existing mailbox. (or if you follow my suggesting, changing the primary, then adding the original back as the additional)

Users continue to use the same mailbox, so no folder changes.

• Proposed as answer by Mapi_Jeremy Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:23 AM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 2:40 AM

All replies

• Theoretically you could just add the new domain as an additional 'authorative domain' in Exchange, adjust your address policies, but I probably wouldn't. I'd more likely run the CEICW and make the new domain primary (which will also adjust RWW) and then re-intate the old domain as an additional.

http://sbs.seandaniel.com/2004/10/hosting-multiple-domains-on-sbs-2003.html

Saturday, January 7, 2012 9:18 PM
  • Sorry to take so long to respond back to you. Thanks for the link to Sean's blog. The info on the link does not deal with the mailstore/mailbox questions, maybe you know the answer:

If I configure the client to use the new domain, 123.com as the primary email address and the old domain, abc.com as a secondary exchange email address, does all incoming email go into one mailstore or will two separate mailstore be used?

How does this affect (if at all, the existing mailstore)?

Will this be seamless to the individual users (will they still see their old email and folders in Outlook)?

Bill
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 11:01 PM
  • everything will continue to operate on the original store, no new nor additional store is created.

An email address is a 'property' of a mailbox. You are simply adding such address to the existing mailbox. (or if you follow my suggesting, changing the primary, then adding the original back as the additional)

Users continue to use the same mailbox, so no folder changes.

• Proposed as answer by Mapi_Jeremy Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:23 AM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 2:40 AM