none
Driver not bieng installed even though it gets injected and is visible in system32\driverstore RRS feed

• Question

• Would there be a way to troubleshoot why a video driver is not bieng installed automatically.

I can see that it's being injected and once windows is up and running I can find it in system32\driverstore. I'm even able to go into device manager, choose update driver, and update the gpu using the driver that was injected into the driverstore, but for whatever reason this doesn't happen automatically during the install process. 

Monday, July 11, 2016 4:51 PM

Answers

• Yes. I create an application and run it during the TS.

So for example, I have a step in the TS that has a WMI Query that check if it the machine is a Lenovo P50:

Select * from Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Model LIKE "%20EQ%"

If it is it runs the application I created with the video driver installation. The application would of course run unattended (setup.exe -s -noreboot -clean).

Hope that helps

Dave

• Marked as answer by GeorgeKen Tuesday, July 12, 2016 5:28 PM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 4:45 PM

All replies

• Hello GeorgeKen,

It sounds like windows PNP is not seeing the driver as needed. What does your inject drivers task sequence step look like during the Preinstall phase? Are you using the total control drivers method?

http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management

If you have total control over the make and model drivers being installed, you may want to try "Install all drivers from the selection profile" in the inject drivers TS step if PNP is not doing it's job.

You can also look at the BDD.log during the preinstall phase to see what PNP drivers are being installed.

Regards,

DLofstedt

Monday, July 11, 2016 5:54 PM
  • yeah, I'm using the total control method.

I'm re-imaging a machine now to check bdd.log (I went through too many reboot cycles and the temp directory must have gotten cleared). I'm 90% that it's getting injecting correctly because I see it in driverstore after the install completes and I'm able to use the files inside driverstore to succesfully update the driver manually. 

Monday, July 11, 2016 6:29 PM
  • Something weird is going on.

During the install process the driver isn't found and windows defaults to standard vga.

When the computer boots the updating driver dialog shows up in the system tray but fails to update the driver. Then, about 10 minutes later the update driver icon shows up in the tray again and this time is successful in finding the driver and updates to the correct driver.

I'm going to see if I can figure anything out in the pnp logs

Monday, July 11, 2016 8:09 PM
  • Hello GeorgeKen,

Is your inject drivers TS step set to install all drivers in the profile, and also the profile set to nothing? I found this post which may be helpful in troubleshooting this:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/63b18854-553f-4870-9693-ad8cb0f837d6/mdt-does-not-install-all-drivers?forum=mdt

"There are three steps in the driver injection process, each one needs to be verified:

1. Were the needed drivers copied locally by ZTIDrivers.wsf?
    2. Did SETUP inject the drivers into the driver store?
    3. Did PNP install the drivers from the driver store?

Log files to review are ZTIDrivers.log, setupact.log, cbs.log and setupapi.dev.log

/ Johan"

Regards,

DLofstedt

Monday, July 11, 2016 9:38 PM
  • I found on some higher end computers it was best to run the video driver installation during the TS.

Dave

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 3:48 PM
  • Do you mean actually run the installer .exe as a post boot step?

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 4:08 PM
  • Yes. I create an application and run it during the TS.

So for example, I have a step in the TS that has a WMI Query that check if it the machine is a Lenovo P50:

Select * from Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Model LIKE "%20EQ%"

If it is it runs the application I created with the video driver installation. The application would of course run unattended (setup.exe -s -noreboot -clean).

Hope that helps

Dave

• Marked as answer by GeorgeKen Tuesday, July 12, 2016 5:28 PM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 4:45 PM
  • Thanks. 

One more question, was there a formatting error is that wmi query variable supposed to be %20EQ%

I'm used to using %MODEL% 

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 4:54 PM
  • Yes, when you do a WMI Query for model on a Lenovo it brings up the Lenovo Machine Type. The machine type for the Lenovo Thinkpad P50 is 20EQ-XXXX. Using the first digits only works best because the last four can change depending on the options.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 4:59 PM
  • Awesome, thanks. I will definitely need this as i've gone all the way back to using an OEM install disk as my base wim and still couldn't get it to auto install. 
    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 5:28 PM