Office 2010 first launch very very slow RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I have about 40 virtualized applications working very well.
    All these applications launch in a few seconds the FIRST time, ... except Office 2010 !
    When I open the Virtualized Applications console to see what is happening when I click anyone of the office applications on the start menu, I see that ALL of the office apps are loaded (all the percentages go from 0% to 100%) and only after all are loaded (about 7 minutes), the clicked app launches ok and work ok.
    After that I can click any office app and it launches quickly.

This is the same on any computer (actually only Windows XP) where none of the office apps have not already been launched.

Some suggestions ?
    Thank you.
    jmd

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 7:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

This is, which may not be applicable in your case, caused by a non-existent feature block one.

Google for sequencing app-v whitepaper too receive information regarding this.
    /Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:56 AM
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:45 AM
  • Thank you.
    I have already read this whitepaper but it does not help me in this case.

I will resequence Office 2010 Pro Plus and launch each application to set the feature block one.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 5:45 PM
  • Hello,

Chapter 4 and 7 details out this, but illustrated in chapter 8 aswell.

/Znack
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:47 PM
  • I already followed the whitepaper you talk about.
    The only point, perhaps, is I only launch Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Visio.
    Perhaps with these applications, there are other components that are necessary ?
    I must repeat that I have sequenced Office Pro Plus (complete package + Visio) as any other applications (40+).
    Some of these apps (Rational Rose Enterprise, ...) are also big ones.
    And it is only Office which stream ALL applications during the very first launch of one of them (and also one of the 4 I talk about above).

?

jm

Friday, June 25, 2010 11:05 AM
  • We have the same issue with Office 2010.

While I have created FB1 as I always do, the first launch is very slow.  FB1 is only 100MB, first launch takes a couple of minutes.

If someone can help us out, any help is appreciated.

Monday, July 19, 2010 11:23 AM
  • Hello, I'm a collegea of Ben De Vriese and we discover still the issue mentioned above with Office 2010.  Does somebody have already a solution for this ?
    When we start Excel 2010 for example, it takes about 6 minutes to start (the first time).  As already mentioned by Ben, our Feature Block 1 is only 100MB !

Thanks in advance,
    Regards,
    Christophe

Technical Support Engineer / Independant Consultant
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 9:38 PM
  • Hello,

Have you tried to enable logging on the App-V client to determine what differs a first launch from any subsequent launches?

Have you monitored what system activities are occuring while performing the first launch?

Have you tested the setup without utilizing App-V?

/Znack
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 9:44 PM
  • With the help of Madelinde Walraven we have found the cause of this problem. It's a network related issue.

With App-V sequencer 4.6 the blocksize is fixed at 64KB (it was 32KB by default in sequencer 4.5, and changeable). Performance should be better with 64K blocks, but not on our network.

We changed the server network adapter speed to 100Mbit/Full Duplex, instead of 1Gbit and performance went up with packages sequenced with 4.6. It's a workaround, this issue still needs some investigation. But at least Office 2010 is streaming fast again!

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:14 AM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:20 AM
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:15 AM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:26 AM
  • @ Ben & znack.

Ok, I will try that.

Thank you.

Thursday, December 1, 2011 3:00 PM