App-V Sequencer 4.5.0.1485 Bug? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am unable to delete Virtual Service entries using the App-V Sequencer version 4.5.0 build 1485.

I have a (Virtual Server 2005 R2) Sequencing machine configured as follows:

- Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition (32-bit) - Service Pack 2
    - Internet Explorer 7
    - Microsoft Application Virtualization Application Sequencer
    - Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
    - Virtual Machine Additions (VS 2005 R2)
    - The machine is configured with two separate drives for sequencing - Drive C: and Drive Q:
    - I have also configured "dummy" ODBC and Printer entries as per the Microsoft Sequencing Guidelines
    - All of the latest Microsoft Windows and Security Updates have been applied

I have sequenced Microsoft Office 2007 Standard Edition incorporating Office 2007 Service Pack 1.

I am attempting to remove the "Microsoft Office Diagnostic Service" and "Office Source Engine" Virtual Service entries (as per the App-V Blog entry).

Within the App-V Sequencer, if I right-click the entry within the 'Virtual Services' Tab and choose "Remove", the sequencer does not remove the entries - it does not display any error messages.  If I highlight the entry, then press the Delete key, it appears to remove the entry BUT once the Sequence is Saved, then re-Opened the Virtual Service entries are still present.

I AM able to set the Virtual Services entries to Disabled but would ideally like them to be removed.

Is this a known bug or is there a work around?

Regards,

Paul
    Monday, February 2, 2009 12:03 PM

Answers

• I came across the same issue (pointed to it by mutsch2000 ;-) ) and it seems that deleting the virtual regsitry keys for the service itself and for the reference under "sft-managed-services" is an acceptable workaround.

If you'd know that you don't need the Service, also the Sequencer Optiona "Allow Virtualization of Services" could be disabled - but deleting the stuff from the vReg seems to be the easiest way.

Falko
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 6:30 AM

All replies

• Looks like a bug to me. 

Is it possible to remove the service from the registry? (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services)
    And what if you remove the service prior to Stop Monitoring?

Regards,

Ment

Friday, February 6, 2009 10:39 AM
    Answerer
  • You can also delete the services during the setup capture process using sc command.
    GNU Developer by choice ....
    Friday, February 6, 2009 2:21 PM
  • Hi Ment & Johri,

I'll give your suggestions a go.

Kindest regards,

Paul

Monday, February 9, 2009 9:02 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem while using 4.5.1.15580.
    Were are those virtual services information stored?
    We deleted the registry keys, but the package still showing the services as disabled in virtual services tab.

Regards
    Holger
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:53 AM
  • I came across the same issue (pointed to it by mutsch2000 ;-) ) and it seems that deleting the virtual regsitry keys for the service itself and for the reference under "sft-managed-services" is an acceptable workaround.

If you'd know that you don't need the Service, also the Sequencer Optiona "Allow Virtualization of Services" could be disabled - but deleting the stuff from the vReg seems to be the easiest way.

Falko
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 6:30 AM