alert reset RRS feed

• Question

• Using SCE2007 Sp1 i noticed that when a alert rises the alerts are nog reset, 2 examples:

I was browsing thru the health state of the logical disct for the servers and there where with 2 servers the yellow excamation mark, so looking at the available space which was 600 mb for the system drive (very low....) and did not get mail. Any way i made some space on the server and now there is 12 gb free. The thing is the yellow mark stays, i have tried recalculate and reset health in the health explorer wioth no luck.

Another example is that we have dispowered a server. An alert rised that the server was nog pingable and the health state was nog good. This is good but i would like the alert thru email. Email is configured but somehow not working good. I had a time when i didn't get the daily report, installed a hotfix and the report is mailed now.

What can be wrong with sce? Why are the alerts not reset although the monitor for the ping etc. are auto resolving so the alerts must disappear....

freddie
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 3:16 PM

Answers

• Hi freddie,

To close an alert: In the Active Alerts pane, right-click the alert, and then click Close Alert.

Also, please check the monitor that generated this alert.  What is the business cycle for the monitor? By default, it could be 1 week.  And there is an option in Configure Alerts page that define whether “automatically resolve the alert when the monitor returns to a helathy state”. Is it enabled or not?

Thanks,

Yog Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Tuesday, May 19, 2009 9:46 AM
    Monday, May 4, 2009 9:55 AM

All replies

• Hi freddie,

To close an alert: In the Active Alerts pane, right-click the alert, and then click Close Alert.

Also, please check the monitor that generated this alert.  What is the business cycle for the monitor? By default, it could be 1 week.  And there is an option in Configure Alerts page that define whether “automatically resolve the alert when the monitor returns to a helathy state”. Is it enabled or not?

Thanks,

Yog Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Tuesday, May 19, 2009 9:46 AM
    Monday, May 4, 2009 9:55 AM
  • Hi,

You can also try the "Flush Health Service State and Cache" task by following these steps:

1. Run SCE console and navigate to Monitoring -> Computers.

2. In the Computer section, locate the line for the related computer. If it is the SCE server, please double click its icon in the "Management Server" column. However, if it is not the SCE server, please double click its icon in the "Agent" column.  (Note: Please pay more attention to the location where you double click. If everything works, a new "State" dialog should open.)

3. In the newly opened "State" dialog, right click the related computer’s item in the "Name" column, and then choose "Health Service Tasks". You will find the task of "Flush Health Service State and Cache" in the list.

Thanks,

Yog Li - MSFT
    Monday, May 4, 2009 10:01 AM
  • The alert is at auto resolve. When i look at the monitoring pane there are, which i mentioned in the other posts, many things not right. For example there are clients which i don't get rid off. State of the clients is critical because they or not beiing monitored. The agent is not installed. Though i cannot delete the items nor deinstall the agent because the only place where i see the clients is in the monitoring -computers pane.

Then there are some servers with yellow marks on the health state. I have tried the flush function but no luck. When i use health explorer it says by one server for example that the free space is beneath the exaptable free space. That was the case but we freed space and now when i look at that server for the free space it is good. So i though maybe the health state must be recalculated of restart or something but no luck again.

So far i noticed that there are many things not right with sce. I would like to see a monitoring screen with not so much errors which or not thru anymore, unfortanally i must use a simple ping program side the sce because then i know for sure that a server is out and on or that there is free space enough..

freddie
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 1:56 PM
  • Hi Freddie,

It seems that some critical problems occured on your SCE server. Please check the Event Log to see if any error message was logged. So we can be prompted what had happened.

Besides, if possible, I would suggest re-installing the SCE Server, which could be a simple solution in this scenario.

Thanks,
    Yog Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 10:57 AM
  • Thx, but do you mean install sce from the beginning and then the sp1 following with the hotfixes? Am i loosing all my own management packs and settings?

freddie
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 7:09 AM
  • Hi freddie,

You are correct. After reinstalling the SCE 2007 SP1 server, you will lose all your own MPs and settings. It is the last resort if no way else to keep your SCE Server working normally.

You can check the Event Log to see if we can find the root cause firstly.

Thanks,
    Yog Li - MSFT
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 10:53 AM
  • I get many eventviewer alerts on the server where sce is installed these are:

Eventvwr:

operation manager item:
    many health service script source errors id 101 with the lines: UtilizationCalc.vbs : Script received a speed less than or equal to zero, and can not calculate utilization

source: Health service modules ID 10102 with the lines: n PerfDataSource, could not resolve counter Logische schijf, Aantal vrije megabytes, All Instances. Module will be unloaded.

Application item:

source: Windows Server update services - ID 13022
    with the lines: Many client computers are not reporting their inventory. 2 have been detected so far.
    source: sqlvdi ID=1    lines: SQLVDI: Loc=CVDS::Cleanup. Desc=Release(ClientAliveMutex). ErrorCode=(288)Attempt to release mutex not owned by caller.
    . Process=3360. Thread=5812. Client. Instance=. VD=.

Can you see something in these alerts? There are many warning errors about 101 id's with health service script.

freddie
    Friday, May 8, 2009 8:15 AM
  • Hello Freddie,

Did you update the Management Packs to the latest version? The error 10102 was resolved by the new version of MPs. For more information, please read the following KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951979/en-us

Besides, you can also download the latest version of MPs from here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/opsmgr/cc539535.aspx

The erroe 101 relates to SNMP devices. Did you import any 3rd party MP, such as DELL MP? Did you update the newwork device monitoring library MP to the latest version?

Besides, please follow the steps in the thread below to solve the error 13022:

Many client computers are not reporting their inventory. < NO > have been detected so far.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/systemcenterinventory/thread/322f01a8-d7dc-44fc-9496-c76b25686da7/

Hope it helps. 

Yog Li - MSFT
    Friday, May 15, 2009 10:23 AM
  • According to this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/systemcentermonitoring/thread/3f1e193e-d6e7-4ff5-a99d-8f46fd15c0e4

it is a bug with the eventvwr utilizationcalc.vbs and still not resolved?

I have installed the updates but the eventvwr log stays.

Now i am getting alerts for all snmp network devices but there is noting the matter. I cannot see wat the alert is about but every few minutes all swithes giving a alert thru mail but not in system centre itself, i cannot see an alert in system centre but get a alert thru mail....

freddie
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 7:20 AM
  • Hi,

Please download the latest version of Network Device Monitoring MP to see if it works: 

Microsoft System Center Network Device Monitoring Management Pack for System Center Essentials 2007 SP1
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8200e405-f871-4f19-a991-0411285fcbe5&displaylang=en

Thanks,
    Yog Li - MSFT
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 10:16 AM
  • Thx. Yog Li but i hava already that version installed.

freddie
    Friday, May 22, 2009 6:16 AM
  • I still get many script errors with Utilization message in the eventvwr, ID101. Is this important?

freddie
    Friday, May 22, 2009 6:18 AM
  • Bump
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 4:03 AM