none
Troubleshooting Group Policy to Windows 10 LTSB

Question

• Group Policy is a lot like Exchange. It works so great, when it wants to work. Of course group policy isn't finding its way to my computers.

My network is simple; 200 computers on a relatively flat network (2 vlans), and two server environment, one of which is the domain controller.  The computer are in the correct OU's and the group policies are enabled for the OU's they need to be applied to.

The workstations are Windows 10 LTSB computers and my server is 2012 R2 Standard.

I've reviewed many of the troubleshooting steps online both Microsoft and 3rd party.

Maybe I'm missing something, because this is aggravating.

The one and only policy that I need to work right now is printer deployments.

Monday, August 22, 2016 7:05 PM

All replies

• For the most part, Group Policy is consistent. Just need to learn its rules. :)

A few questions:

1. Are you using printer preferences to deploy printers?

2. If so, computer or user side?

Double check a gpresult on the client. Ensure that the computer/user is processing the GPO. Then check the event log - applications. Look for Group Policy related errors.

Here are two guides that may help you:

https://deployhappiness.com/deploying-printers-with-group-policy-preferences/

https://deployhappiness.com/top-10-ways-to-troubleshoot-group-policy/

If my answer helped you, check out my blog: Deploy Happiness

• Proposed as answer by Todd Heron Tuesday, August 23, 2016 1:59 AM
    Monday, August 22, 2016 7:12 PM
  • The first step I always take with Group Policy issues is to run RSOP.msc, right click Computer Configuration (or users, depending on the Policy type), select properties, and make sure Display All GPOs is checked. That will list all the GPOs that apply to the computer and why they were or weren't processed. From there, you can go to the Error information tab, then go to the Printer Deployment component to view a more specific error message. That will usually tell you if the printer is missing a driver, doesn't exist as written in the GPO, or other information that should help you resolve the issue.
    • Proposed as answer by Todd Heron Tuesday, August 23, 2016 1:59 AM
    Monday, August 22, 2016 7:13 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your post.

For troubleshooting, I suggest you try to run gpresult /h C:\gpresult.html to check if the group policy has been applied successfully, and if the setting of group policy is ok.

You could also post the gpresult to us for further research.

Here is an article below about deploy printer by group policy for your reference.

Deploying Printers by Using Group Policy

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754699(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Todd Heron Tuesday, August 23, 2016 2:00 AM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 1:51 AM
  • For the most part, Group Policy is consistent. Just need to learn its rules. :)

A few questions:

1. Are you using printer preferences to deploy printers?

A: I'm using the Print Management console and using the Deploy with Group Policy... option in the content menu when I right click a printer.  It has worked before.

2. If so, computer or user side?

A: Although using the console, I was using it on the user side.

Double check a gpresult on the client. Ensure that the computer/user is processing the GPO. Then check the event log - applications. Look for Group Policy related errors.

A: That's the thing, it's not picking up the GPO and I don't understand why, because the computer is in the correct OU in ADUC and the proper GPO is enabled and linked to the same OU in Group Policy.

Here are two guides that may help you:

https://deployhappiness.com/deploying-printers-with-group-policy-preferences/

https://deployhappiness.com/top-10-ways-to-troubleshoot-group-policy/

If my answer helped you, check out my blog: Deploy Happiness

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 4:58 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your post.

For troubleshooting, I suggest you try to run gpresult /h C:\gpresult.html to check if the group policy has been applied successfully, and if the setting of group policy is ok.

You could also post the gpresult to us for further research.

A:

Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Operating System Group Policy Result tool v2.0
    c 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Created on 8/23/2016 at 1:00:33 PM

RSOP data for LYONMOUNTAIN\dcayea on ISIDOREDT : Logging Mode
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

OS Configuration:            Member Workstation
    OS Version:                  10.0.10240
    Site Name:                   N/A
    Roaming Profile:             N/A
    Local Profile:               C:\Users\dcayea
    Connected over a slow link?: No

USER SETTINGS
    --------------
        CN=Daniel Cayea,CN=Users,DC=lyonmountain,DC=com
        Last time Group Policy was applied: 8/23/2016 at 12:54:28 PM
        Group Policy was applied from:      ISIDORE.lyonmountain.com
        Group Policy slow link threshold:   500 kbps
        Domain Name:                        LYONMOUNTAIN
        Domain Type:                        Windows 2008 or later

Applied Group Policy Objects
        -----------------------------
            Default Domain Policy

The following GPOs were not applied because they were filtered out
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Local Group Policy
                Filtering:  Not Applied (Empty)

The user is a part of the following security groups
        ---------------------------------------------------
            Domain Users
            Everyone
            BUILTIN\Power Users
            BUILTIN\Users
            NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE
            CONSOLE LOGON
            NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users
            This Organization
            LOCAL
            QuickBooks
            Main Office MFP
            SMS_Administrators
            Authentication authority asserted identity
            Medium Plus Mandatory Level

Here is an article below about deploy printer by group policy for your reference.

Deploying Printers by Using Group Policy

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754699(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 5:07 PM
  • "Although using the console, I was using it on the user side."

So here's the problem, then. It sounds like you are linking this GPO to an OU with computer objects in it, but the GPO has the settings set using User Settings > Preferences. If that is the case, then you'll want to modify the GPO so it is using the Printer Deploy preference under Computer Settings > Preferences. The User Settings vs Computer Settings branches in the policy editor determine what type of objects the policy applies to in Active Directory. User settings apply to User objects, Computer settings apply to Computer objects. So if you like a GPO with user settings to an OU that only has Computer objects in it, the policy will do nothing (unless you enable Loopback policy processing, which is a different subject).

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 5:16 PM
  • "Although using the console, I was using it on the user side."

So here's the problem, then. It sounds like you are linking this GPO to an OU with computer objects in it, but the GPO has the settings set using User Settings > Preferences. If that is the case, then you'll want to modify the GPO so it is using the Printer Deploy preference under Computer Settings > Preferences. The User Settings vs Computer Settings branches in the policy editor determine what type of objects the policy applies to in Active Directory. User settings apply to User objects, Computer settings apply to Computer objects. So if you like a GPO with user settings to an OU that only has Computer objects in it, the policy will do nothing (unless you enable Loopback policy processing, which is a different subject).

A: I misspoke, the printer is under computer configuration, not user configuration, and of course the only thing in the OU is computers. :)

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 6:42 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

If you deploy printer by computer configuration, please logon with administrative user and run gpresult /h C:\gpreault.html to check if the policy has been applied successfully.

Best Regards,

Jay

Thursday, September 1, 2016 6:34 AM