DDE Broadcast Test Utility RRS feed

• Question

• I've been troubleshooting a DDE conflict on my Win 7 x64 Pro laptop between two programs, and have been instructed to use the DDE Broadcast Test Utility from Microsoft. Unfortunately, this utility & all traces of it have been removed from Microsoft's website. Does anyone know where to obtain this?

Note: I've already tried installing a trial of Visual Studio 2013 to use Spy++ instead, but it didn't do what I needed.

Friday, November 15, 2013 5:52 PM

Answers

• Hi, 

DDEBcast.exe was never available externally.

However, you don't really *need* DDEBcast anymore if you have access to Spy++ or DDESpy.  With Spy++you can track DDE messages, and it is available externally as part of VisualStudio installs.  If you still have access to and can install VisualStudio 6.0, DDESpy was available with that installed, which may also work.

Thanks for your understanding.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:55 AM
  • Hi, 

Here is the guide of DDESpy.exe: 

Overview: DDESpy

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa233534(v=vs.60).aspx

Hope these could be helpful. 

For more detailed in formation or usage, to contact MSDN support would be better. 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here 

Kate Li

Monday, November 25, 2013 1:40 AM

All replies

• Hi, 

Thanks for your post. 

For your concerns, more research will be required. 

I will get back to you as soon as possible. 

Kate Li

Monday, November 18, 2013 11:28 AM
  • Hi, 

DDEBcast.exe was never available externally.

However, you don't really *need* DDEBcast anymore if you have access to Spy++ or DDESpy.  With Spy++you can track DDE messages, and it is available externally as part of VisualStudio installs.  If you still have access to and can install VisualStudio 6.0, DDESpy was available with that installed, which may also work.

Kate Li

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:55 AM
  • Thanks, I was able to find a standalone copy of Spy++ 8.0.50727.42 and have been trying to use it to find the DDE conflict. Could you point me to any guides or offer any suggestions for identifying the DDE messages? The extent of DDE mentioned in the help file is a reference to DDESpy.exe and nothing more.
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 3:22 PM
  • Hi, 

Here is the guide of DDESpy.exe: 

Overview: DDESpy

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa233534(v=vs.60).aspx

Hope these could be helpful. 

For more detailed in formation or usage, to contact MSDN support would be better. 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here 

Kate Li

Monday, November 25, 2013 1:40 AM
  • Thanks! Unfortunately I couldn't continue to work on this issue, so I just reimaged my computer.
    Monday, November 25, 2013 1:42 PM
  • Hi,

If there is no further question about DDE, we will consider that this issue is resolved.

For other questions, welcome to create new thread to discuss here.

Have a nice day.

Kate Li

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:23 AM